Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What is your opinion of a IMP 255 Eleganza??? >

What is your opinion of a IMP 255 Eleganza???

Notices

What is your opinion of a IMP 255 Eleganza???

Old 04-18-2002, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your opinion of a IMP 255 Eleganza???

Friend is looking into getting one and I think that they are not that bad of a deal for the money (we are talking about someone with hardly ANY budget whatsoever)

The engines offered in this particular boat and particular year went from twin 350 -260 hp Alpha's
To 454-365 Mag single

For an entry level boat to "get you out there"

I realize IMP never was a heavy hitter in racing, advertising or anything else

Their hull design was not THAT bad or was it?
Did it ever have tendencies to chine walk real bad or porpoise alot? Was it a waste of money
Would you if you had hardly any cash to play with pick one up for about 7-8-9 grand with a rebuilt 454 about 380-390 HP, nice trailer, new paint job ?
If you did opt for this, would you want twin 350's or single 454?

Talk to me guys
Thanks
Jason
Old 04-18-2002, 04:12 PM
Registered

Hey Jay,
I'll tell what little I know about them as I sold them for a littlewhile. IMP 255 and 310's are based on Magnum hulls. The way I seem to remember the story is that both companies were owned at one time by APECO which made copy machines. When IMP wanted to build an "offshore" boat they used the Magnum molds. This is what I seem to remember anyhow. The 255's that I had expierence with were pretty good boats. The hull and deck lay-up was pretty straight forward hand laid with some chop.
Hardware was good and depending on the model year the craftmanship was ok for a production boat. I have driven several single engine 25's and they ran pretty good and liked rough water. I ran one 25 with twin 260's and alphas(cr) and it was a blast. This particular boat ran just shy of 70mph and on one particular run from Middle River to Rock Hall and back in honest 2' chop it was easy and comfortable to run 60 or better. If you can buy it right and are not expecting an 80mph ride go for it. Some advice... most of them had very conservative(low) X-dimensions that definitely allow room for performance inprovement; if you have a single deck hatch turn it 180 degrees so that it opens aft they had a tendency to open by themselves in the rough stuff and last don't overtrim. The deck forward of the windshield slopes down toward the bow and will give you the impression that the boat is going to stuff it takes a little time to get use to.
Good luck.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:21 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply
BTW it is a 1989 model 255 eleganza with an arch
(not the 86-87 junkier one)

friend is going to try to snag it for around 7-8 grand if he can
I told him, i would look it over and for that money, the engine, drive, gimbal assembly is worth it. (assuming it is all in good condition and no gimbal ring, bearing or anything else that is a nightmare to do)

Remember it is going to be his first boat, he is young, in college and would like to get into it a little bit but the big cigs ect are all wonderful but not in everones budget that is for sure.
Thanks for the input, appreciated
Jason
Old 04-18-2002, 07:54 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i have head they haev problem with thier engine mounts. they are metal "offshore style" but are integrated into the stringer so when they rot and need to be replaced have to be cut and welded. That may have only been on a few years but that is what i heard. Definatly not a merc engine mount.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:43 PM
FWK

I sold them in the late 80's also and we had one with twin 454's in it I can't remember how fast it was but for the time it was quick. Forrest

Old 04-19-2002, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i sold IMP boats from 1989 to 1997,they are a pretty good boat,1988 was the yaer they started to get their sxxt together,and do things right.that boat with a single runs ok.mid fifties with a 7.4.with twins they do rock pretty good.