New 8.2L Mercruiser engine >

New 8.2L Mercruiser engine

Notices

New 8.2L Mercruiser engine

Old 12-04-2018, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I just wanted to add something to this thread. There was talk earlier in the thread about the engine having basically the same bottom end as the 525, etc. That is absolutely not true. It is completely different. It uses a forged crank but it has extremely small counterweights. The rods are powdered metal with cracked caps. The pistons are Diamonds that are VERY small and light. The entire rotating assembly is very light weight. We just did a pair and had trouble balancing the cranks. The owner wanted to change the rods and pistons as the engine had failed catastrophically. We used the same rods and pistons that we put in the 525's and it would have required (7) 1" slugs of Mallory (heavy metal) to balance the crank. It ended up being cheaper to replace the crank than try to balance the original crank. We have increased the compression, changed the cam to a 525 cam, and replaced the exhaust while eliminating the 6 cats, along with a tune from Dustin. It should be just shy of 550 hp. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Eddie
The bottom end sounds pretty good for anything you’d do NA. Cracked cap PM forged are good with an ARP L19 bolt upgrade, hypereutectic pistons are better as long they are never detonated.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:10 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the latest failures are rocker arms inwhich was out in june or July 2018 for a OEM SB to the dealers. There is many SB s about the engines especially in the first 4 years. .I am not a fan of these engines period and especially NOT a FAN of the cool fuel shedding internally and the fuel injectors plus the cheap junk fuel rail installed on these engine..

If the injectors become contaminated inwhich they will in due time -- One has to make sure the person servicing them KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING because it is very easy to ruin these injectors --- very and do I mean very easily. Also --- let me tell you they are super expensive and you are not getting them anywhere but thru MERC. I know this first hand because about 4 or 5 years ago I got sets handed to me for possible bringing them back to life, The reason was the injector service company whom received them was dumb founded about the correct procedures for testign and cleaning... All the injectors were junked by that service whom performed many incorrect testing procedures .. .Anyways I could NOT bring them back to life ---- not even one back to life.

Resale on boats with the 8.2 are not strong at all especially since you can not give away I/O boats currently regardless of the year.. Its all outboard boats in overwelming sales. . IMO if new sales do not pick up for I/Os within 5 years I doubt they will be made anymore.. I give it 5 years and its done unless things turn around for I.O sales. . .

Last edited by BUP; 12-06-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn that's a shame to hear. I am looking at a few 2014-2015 formula 370's and they all came with the 8.2's. I do perform all my own service so I would make sure it would be done correctly for sure.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The trend away from I/Os is sad but undeniable.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
The trend away from I/Os is sad but undeniable.
Agreed. I'm sure more reliable and would make 100% more sense for everyone on here but sure ruin the look of most boats IMO (no offense to anyone that owns them).
Old 12-06-2018, 11:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
Agreed. I'm sure more reliable and would make 100% more sense for everyone on here but sure ruin the look of most boats IMO (no offense to anyone that owns them).

Hard to think of outboards as more reliable, such a change. Easier to replace, uglier, louder, still not a fan.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed not a fan of outboards at all.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RGPIII
Agreed not a fan of outboards at all.
We are just old and out of date I guess...Outboards still sound like crap tho compared to a nice big block..
Old 12-07-2018, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Nothing like a Big Block or two.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:05 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Nothing like a Big Block or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXyEiw4kpQg
Very Nice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.