Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Sierra brand transom assembly bellows (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/225613-sierra-brand-transom-assembly-bellows.html)

US1 Fountain 03-03-2010 09:01 PM

Sierra brand transom assembly bellows

Anyone use these vs the Merc bellows? Curious on the quality of them.
Thanks

Young Performance 03-04-2010 12:20 AM

I have used a few in the past, but they were on small fishing boats (Bayliner, etc) I don't use them on anything worth any real amount of money. I didn't see anything wrong with them, but I just don't trust them on a go fast. I would stick with the Merc ones.
Eddie

DiamondPerformance 03-04-2010 06:47 AM

Stick with the Merc. bellows. Sierra has some good parts but the Merc. bellows are better.

hoozeyurdaddy 03-04-2010 07:28 AM

I have used both the merc and sierra over the last 25 years and I have never had a failure of a sierra bellow, I replace about 20-25 bellows a year, I think thats a pretty good track record. I own a boat and aircraft repair shop and stand behind all my work, If I thoght for a second that it would cost me down the road, I wouldn't use them.

Thunderstruck 03-04-2010 08:06 AM

How many companies actually manufacture the bellows, and shift cables, or whatever? Merc probably doesn't manufacture bellows, I would like to know for sure, so if Sierra and Merc buy them from the same manufacturer what would the difference be if you are out of warranty?

I found the Merc 500HP carbed fuel pumps from the manufacturer for $50. That played out and since then I get them from CarQuest for $75. They work about as bad as the Merc pumps but $100 cheaper. Exact same pump.

BTW I put Sierra bellows on my drives last year. Have the drives off this year for maintenance no issues with the Sierra bellows. They looked the same as Mercs.

Young Performance 03-04-2010 11:03 AM

Let me reiterate that I have used quite a few of the Sierra boots and have never had a problem. I just choose to use the Merc boots on go fast boats. I just don't trust them. That is just me. I don't have any evidence that they are not as good as the Merc ones. I'm sure that Merc doesn't make the boots, so they may have the same manufacturer. I don't know.
Eddie

doctor_ratz 03-04-2010 12:37 PM

I know the question was on bellows, but........... on Shift Cables, OE Merc are the only ones to use. It is something about the inner liner. Same goes for the inlet water hose that goes between the drive and transom assy. The aftermarket hose kinks up, the Merc part does not.

Biggus 03-04-2010 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by doctor_ratz (Post 3059876)
I know the question was on bellows, but........... on Shift Cables, OE Merc are the only ones to use. It is something about the inner liner. Same goes for the inlet water hose that goes between the drive and transom assy. The aftermarket hose kinks up, the Merc part does not.

Right On! When I was working in the field, we found the Alpha Sierra shift cables to be crimped too tight (the brass end that threads into the bellhousing) this caused a stalling issue, tripping the shift interrupter switch.

Thunderstruck 03-05-2010 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by doctor_ratz (Post 3059876)

Good info there.

US1 Fountain 03-05-2010 01:12 PM

In a phone call I had with Boatfix a few yrs ago, I was questioning the plastic blue water drain plugs and the black water tees. The guy there said both the Sierra and Merc are made by the same company, but to different tolerances. Not sure if that true or not, but when held side by side, sure looked possible. Then if the parts came off the same mold, they should be the same. Doubt there is a market that would support having several makers of alot of the marine stuff. I usually go with when ever in doubt, error on the safe side. Just curious if anyone knew for sure what the scoop was on the bellows.