Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Are anodes useless... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/225820-anodes-useless.html)

mapism 03-07-2010 03:17 PM

Are anodes useless...

...when the boat is:
a) always used in fresh water;
b) always dry stored, and never left in the water for more than a few hours at a time;
c) never moored near chains, docks, other boats;
d) fitted with Mercathode.

Reason why I'm wondering is that I've seen a boat whose anodes where removed (and not replaced) two years ago.
And now, after 100 hours or so of use in the above conditions, outdrive/prop are still as brand new...

Centsless 03-07-2010 11:53 PM

is there a battery in the boat??????????
if there is you have galvanic action.............

mapism 03-08-2010 01:34 AM

Well I didn't look inside the boat, but I guess there must be one, to turn a 377 block on... :lolhit:
Though surely it's detached while the boat is stored.

rws 03-08-2010 06:58 AM

Are the anodes the correct materal for the water?

Zink= Salt

Aluminum=Brackish

Magnesium=Fresh

Griff 03-08-2010 10:50 AM

If the anodes are getting eaten away at all, then they are working. In the use you described, chances are you would not have any problems.

mapism 03-09-2010 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3062546)
If the anodes are getting eaten away at all, then they are working.

I actually don't know if they ever worked.
The owner told me that when he bought the boat (new) she had the normal salt water anodes installed, and considering how he would have used the boat decided to remove them rather than switch to magnesium ones...! Don't ask me why he didn't just leave the zinc ones, rather than nothing. But looking at the results, I can't tell he was wrong.

The reason why I'm asking is that my boat is now used pretty much in the same way, but she still has zinc anodes as she was previously used in salt water.
I was thinking to fit magnesium, but now I'm also considering to not waste any time and $.
I know it's a cheap insurance against the cost of an XR drive, but if it's really useless...?!?

DMOORE 03-09-2010 10:09 PM

It only costs a few bucks for the correct anodes. Why not?

Darrell.

Pismo10 03-10-2010 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by mapism (Post 3061811)
...when the boat is:
a) always used in fresh water;
b) always dry stored, and never left in the water for more than a few hours at a time;
c) never moored near chains, docks, other boats;
d) fitted with Mercathode.

Reason why I'm wondering is that I've seen a boat whose anodes where removed (and not replaced) two years ago.
And now, after 100 hours or so of use in the above conditions, outdrive/prop are still as brand new...

Is it clean fresh water or polluted? If it is very clean, drinkable, you need nothing and it will last for 30years.
Given a,b,c,d, corrosion is the very least of your worries.

mapism 03-10-2010 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pismo10 (Post 3064176)
Given a,b,c,d, corrosion is the very least of your worries.

Thanks, that's what I thought.
The water is pretty clean, but I never heard of any lake around here whose water is classified as drinkable. Otoh, it's classified as safe for bathing, and I regularly swim in there with eyes open, never had any problem. I guess it would take AT LEAST enough pollution to make it unsafe for bathing, to be also corrosive for the leg and the rest of the raw circuit?

PS - in reply to DMOORE: I know, obviously the anodes are not a big concern costwise, but it's also a matter of principle: I'm happier to pay a lot for something useful, than a little for something useless... :drink:

Pismo10 03-10-2010 02:39 PM

Leave your original ones on and you will see, they will look like new for years.