Using propane torch to remove trailer tire bolts >

Using propane torch to remove trailer tire bolts

Notices

Using propane torch to remove trailer tire bolts

Old 03-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Using propane torch to remove trailer tire bolts

I was thinking about using a propane torch to try and remove one stubborn tire on my trailer. The bolts broke my ratchet, and my extension. The trailer is a 1996 and its really rusted. Has anyone tried and and how successful was it?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try soaking wiht PB blaster and letting it sit for a while. if that doesnt work heat will do the trick but you have to get it pretty hot
Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to be cheap about it buy a Map gas container, you'll thank me. Those propane torches are a little better than a cigarette lighter. If you really want to do the trick buy the Map gas torch and container (Still under $60, even for a good one), but even if you don't want to buy a new tip get the Map gas container and use it on your propane tip. It will only cost you about $7 and it will be worth every penny.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:40 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a bigger, longer breaker bar, nt a ratchet. Better yet an impact gun and the PB blasted should work.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
You need a bigger, longer breaker bar, nt a ratchet. Better yet an impact gun and the PB blasted should work.
I agree with that too... Or a nice pipe that fits over the end of your ratchet.

"Give me a lever and a place to put it and I could move the world"...

Old 03-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use heat to loosen it up, replace the stud and the nut. Hot enough and you'll ruin the heat treat on the bolt.

1/2" breaker bar and an impact quality socket (usually satin black) is a good bet.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:31 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Don't use a pipe on you ratchet unless its under warranty. Chances are the nut is seized to the wheel as well as the stud. Soak it a few times a day for a couple days with PB Blaster. Then use an impact wrench with at least 300# of torque. If that doesn't work, you will have to use a long breaker bar and will most likely the stud will snap.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
If you want to be cheap about it buy a Map gas container, you'll thank me. Those propane torches are a little better than a cigarette lighter. If you really want to do the trick buy the Map gas torch and container (Still under $60, even for a good one), but even if you don't want to buy a new tip get the Map gas container and use it on your propane tip. It will only cost you about $7 and it will be worth every penny.

On the money. We use heat all the time go yellow and ditch the blue. Thank us later.

bwt- Dont worry about getting it to hot. HEAT IS YOUR FRIEND
Old 03-23-2010, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

If you do heat it, pull the valve stem. Still be an easier job with te right tools, impact socket breaker bar etc.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes it's easier to just snap the old stud off and then tap in a new one. A breaker bar and a 3 ft. piece of pipe will do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.