Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   k-plane location?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/229858-k-plane-location.html)

stlliberator 05-06-2010 07:30 AM

k-plane location??

OK, I need help, where do you i mount the planes? As far out toward the sides of the boat or closer to the center?? Its on a 24 foot baja outlaw...

Ted G 05-06-2010 07:33 AM

As far as possible to the outside will make them more effective. There is some debate as to mounting them parallel with the hull or horizontal, but most manufacturers seem to go with parallel.

Dave M 05-06-2010 07:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of mine.....

I see alot of manufacturers mount them parallel to the water surface rather then the hull. Not sure how well that would work for you.

hoozeyurdaddy 05-06-2010 08:33 AM

parallel to the hull and about a 1/4" up from the bottom and in from the side's about 3-4". make sure that when they are all the way up, they are not dragging in the water. use a straight edge to set the height.

cabin fever 05-06-2010 09:27 AM

Stupid Q,

When mounting these, how does one access the bottom bolts?

I don't have enough seat time in my boat to know if I want or need them yet, but I was looking in my bilge, and wasn't sure how I would even get to the bottom?

stlliberator 05-06-2010 10:06 AM

So it doesn't matter if they are mounted over a chine on the bottom of the boat?

wtfo 05-06-2010 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by stlliberator (Post 3103507)
So it doesn't matter if they are mounted over a chine on the bottom of the boat?

nope

FasterFaster 05-06-2010 01:17 PM

If you cannot reach the outside lower bolt or one that lines up with a stringer, use a stout lag bolt screwed in from the outside. Use one or two MAX; the rest should be thru-bolted. Be sure to use a good sealant on lags and bolts so the transom doesn't absorb water. Mount parallel with the hull, not the water. The bottom of the plate should be 3/8 to 1/2 above the bottom/transom corner. That works best.

Ted G 05-06-2010 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by cabin fever (Post 3103479)
Stupid Q,

When mounting these, how does one access the bottom bolts?

I don't have enough seat time in my boat to know if I want or need them yet, but I was looking in my bilge, and wasn't sure how I would even get to the bottom?

Occasionally you may have to raise the tabs a little to clear the bottom so you can drill for the lower bolts, or use lags as has been suggested.

capt2130 05-07-2010 08:25 PM

I had to cut pockets thru the bottom of the floor to have access to bolts and for hydraulic lines. I made cover plates from sst and powder coated them to cover the pockets I had to make. I mounted mine tabs 3/4" from the bottom. Make sure you apply resined anywhere you drill or cut. I also used 3M 4200 for holding the tabs on and sealing the bolts thru the transom. I had several good pointers from guys on here.