Engine compartment LED's >

Engine compartment LED's

Notices

Engine compartment LED's

Old 05-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine compartment LED's

So I want to put some red led's in my engine compartment to match the boat. My question is what kinds of LED's should I use? Will regular automotive LED's work? I also want to put some in the cockpit eventually, any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Registered

I would go with a light made for commercial truck. I have a few in mine and like the look. They have 6 or 9 leds in each with clear colored lense. Oh yea and a lifetime warranty! $13 each but very bright and clear light.
Rope light is gaaaay!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Registered

I installed some that I picked up from AutoZone. The lights are installed in rigid tubes designed to be installed underneath cars. I have one tube on each side of the engine compartment and one under the front of the compartment. Look great IMO.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with some marine LED's from west Marine. 1" round light with super bright KED's molded in. Water proof and supposed to last 4000 hrs. Just drill a 1/2" hole, feed the wires thru and put the plastic nut on the back. They are sort of directional so I mounted two on either side of the motor and two on the underside of the hatch pointing down.

Pretty good selection here http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...SiteSearchView
Old 05-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kneeslider74
I would go with a light made for commercial truck. I have a few in mine and like the look. They have 6 or 9 leds in each with clear colored lense. Oh yea and a lifetime warranty! $13 each but very bright and clear light.
Rope light is gaaaay!
Where did you get them?

Originally Posted by dukenrock
I installed some that I picked up from AutoZone. The lights are installed in rigid tubes designed to be installed underneath cars. I have one tube on each side of the engine compartment and one under the front of the compartment. Look great IMO.
Is it possible to ask for some pics?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Where To
VIP Member

I am currently fitting a set of Street Glow LED Wheel well flexable lights in my engine compartment. Gonna give them a try. So far the install is going pretty good. Turned the lights off in the garage the other night and they look real good. The controller is a little hard to get used to, but I don't need all of the blinking and so on...A couple of the options are cool though!!

Follow the link! http://www.streetglow.com/SGLWWMC-7-...&category=5615

Dave
Old 05-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Registered

Default LED's

Go to www.superbrightleds.com , they have everything imaginable and good prices too. got mine there.

Jeff
Old 05-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by axapowell
I am currently fitting a set of Street Glow LED Wheel well flexable lights in my engine compartment. Gonna give them a try. So far the install is going pretty good. Turned the lights off in the garage the other night and they look real good. The controller is a little hard to get used to, but I don't need all of the blinking and so on...A couple of the options are cool though!!

Follow the link! http://www.streetglow.com/SGLWWMC-7-...&category=5615

Dave
It it possible to post some pics
Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Originally Posted by rexmitchell
It it possible to post some pics
I'll see what I can do while I'm up at the garage tonight.

Dave
Old 05-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
I went with some marine LED's from west Marine. 1" round light with super bright KED's molded in. Water proof and supposed to last 4000 hrs. Just drill a 1/2" hole, feed the wires thru and put the plastic nut on the back. They are sort of directional so I mounted two on either side of the motor and two on the underside of the hatch pointing down.

Pretty good selection here http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...SiteSearchView
Pics , we need some Pics BIG Daddy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.