Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Best Batteries? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/230554-best-batteries.html)

hotjava66 05-16-2010 03:53 PM

Best Batteries?

Looking to add a battery and replace the 2 in my boat. Guy who put in my stereo system says Optimas are best but have to use a red top, the other ones not as good. I have heard some so-so things on Optimas. What is everyone having luck with. Going to have 2 batt. to run stereo etc while parked, one for starting/backup.

goldeneyee 05-16-2010 04:14 PM

I run Delco Marine and have gotten 6 years use out of them without a cell going bad....

low_psi 05-16-2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by hotjava66 (Post 3111508)
Looking to add a battery and replace the 2 in my boat. Guy who put in my stereo system says Optimas are best but have to use a red top, the other ones not as good. I have heard some so-so things on Optimas. What is everyone having luck with. Going to have 2 batt. to run stereo etc while parked, one for starting/backup.

Optimas are good for automotive use not for marine. I have used Deka Group 31 marine batteries in my last two boats. I have previously ran Optimas and they can't come close to the Deka that I run now. I play my stereo at 1/2-3/4 power for 8-10 hrs on one battery and I am running upwards of 2500 watts. If you go that route I would suggest a much smaller battery (the optima would be good) for starting and running. I have just a standard Interstate Battery for normal operation. THe Deka would take all day and then some to charge up from the alternator alone...... I have a on board charger that I plug in once back at the docks.

One 31 series will easily take the place of two Optimas.

mike tkach 05-16-2010 07:48 PM

i have had good luck with deca marine,and optima blue top cranking battery.

Blueabyss 05-16-2010 07:52 PM

I am on my 4th season on Optima Yellow Tops. I have 2 and run the stereo a lot. I am very surprised they have lasted this long. I was going to swap them this year but they charged all the way up so I decided to use them. Plus I have US tow boat service so I figure the worst is I have to wait for a jump. One thing I have been doing is keeping my Perko Switch on ALL . I know people say use one for the stereo and one for starting but this works for me.. Also make sure you have a charger that can be set to charge AGM batteries.. I think that is where some people are having trouble, Charging with the wrong charger.. I am by no means a battery expert but I am on my 4th season on the batteries so i must be doing something right.

Chris

FIXX 05-16-2010 09:07 PM

Fixx

I have 10 yrs on my interstates,,going into next season will be my 11th year:drink:

hotjava66 05-17-2010 10:19 AM

was looking today, battery supplier says not to use AGM/gel batteries unless you upgrade you charging system, most boats wont charge them properly, anyone heard his?

225hcca 05-17-2010 10:31 AM

I have used Interstate in my boats for years. Make sure your audio amps have low voltage protection so you don't kill them as the volts/amps drop throughout the day.

NightHawk 05-17-2010 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by hotjava66 (Post 3112063)
was looking today, battery supplier says not to use AGM/gel batteries unless you upgrade you charging system, most boats wont charge them properly, anyone heard his?

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial...y_gel_agm.html

I switched to AGM batteries (Seavolt from West Marine) after breaking a couple of Exides wave hopping. The AGMs charge fine using the boat's charging system or my deep cycle charger.

FuelinAround 05-17-2010 12:45 PM

I run 2 blue top optimas with around 2000 watt stereo. Run the stereo on full capacity (2 subs and 6 components) for 8 hours with no problem. I always hook the batteries up to an AGM maintainer when I get home to make sure the dancing doesn't end the next day :) I have one battery wired to start the motors and one battery wired to the amps and accessories. Worst case scenario this way is that I have to drive back with no music BUT atleast my motors start.