Stainless Marine OR EMI Replacement For Stock Exhaust Manifolds >

Stainless Marine OR EMI Replacement For Stock Exhaust Manifolds

Notices

Stainless Marine OR EMI Replacement For Stock Exhaust Manifolds

Old 05-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Marine OR EMI Replacement For Stock Exhaust Manifolds

I have a '98 Formula 312 with stock 454 MAG MPI’s 385hp and stock Merc exhaust manifolds.

Has anyone replaced the stock exhaust on these engines with EMI or Stainless Marine manifolds and risers on these engines?

Did you notice a difference in performance, RPM’s and top speed? Was it worth the extra $$$$$$?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are lighter & they breathe better than the factory manifolds. You wont see big speed increases, but you usually can feel the added torque and you may possibly get up to another 1-3mph at best.. We sell, install & ship both systems. Feel free to give me a shout if it still interests you. Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628
Old 05-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Registered

I like the Stainless Marine
Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have the Stainless on my 311 and they are probably 10 years old, still look great. I don't think you'll see a huge change in speed but the piece of mind is great.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:30 AM
Registered

I had stainless on my Cig and the sparkplugs were a bi**h to get out. My new boat has EMI Thunder plus w dry tailpipes, sounds and performs better, and sparkplugs are easy to reach. I like the EMI better
Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Registered

I used EMI thunders on my Formula . No speed gains. I now have Keith Eickert header manifolds. Made a HUGE difference over the EMI,s. Jeff Wurl
Old 05-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

I put a set on with ss risers on a friends 96 312 fastech, 310 hp efi engines. Didn'T make a lick of difference..What did was the maxims props, he uses way less fuel with them..
Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jwurl
I used EMI thunders on my Formula . No speed gains. I now have Keith Eickert header manifolds. Made a HUGE difference over the EMI,s. Jeff Wurl
jwurl, you stated Keith Eickert manifolds made a huge difference, did they increase the top end speed?

Currently my exhaust manifolds are fine (fresh water) just looking to add a couple of MPH'S. Both motors run very strong with no problems, but i know the day is coming when they will need a rebuild. When that day comes i will have them tweaked. I had Stainless Marine on my last boat (630hp blower motor), they worked fine and looked good. Spark plugs were a pain but no worse than the stock Merc's.

Just looking for a little bang for my buck.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I think EMI and SM have their places. My personal opinion of the EMI's were the stainless tailpipes are of lesser quality and hence possibly the lesser cost of the system.

I have no personal experience with them but a friend installed them on his small blocks and had some issues with a new tailpipe leaking. EMI replaced it and took care of him, so for that they're A-OK in my book.

I had SM's on my Scarab with TRS. They were installed before I bought the boat and were on there for 10 years and never any issue with about 550 hp. Now have them on my Apache for 2 years and never any issues with 800+ hp. The service and quality has always been great.

I think they're both decent but my personal vote would go to the SM's.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Registered

I have the EMI powerflow plus system. These engines were built by Paul Phaff, and I have heard that he recomends using the EMI plus. These are 750 hp class 1 racing engines, sounds great, TONS of power and acceleration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.