Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   ECU - Arizonia Speed & Marine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/231716-ecu-arizonia-speed-marine.html)

FLFD250 06-01-2010 09:11 AM

ECU - Arizonia Speed & Marine

I am looking for companies that can test and reprogram an ECU. We have a 454 Chevy with an ASM ECU on our fire department rescue airboat. We have been having problems with our boat losing power when the temperature exceeds 200 degrees. We recently sent the ECU to ASM to get reprogrammed. The ECU was originally programmed to go into safe mode at 197 degrees. We wanted to increase this to 210 degrees. Our motor typically runs at 200 – 205 degrees. I have read a lot of negative things about ASM and see others have had problems getting their ECU’s reprogrammed. We are not sure the flash took when we sent it to them recently. Does anyone have any suggestions?

poolshrk 06-01-2010 09:16 AM

Call Bob @ MEFI BURN. Poolshrk

BenPerfected 06-01-2010 11:55 AM

FLFD250,
A 200 degree WT in a BBC marine application is pretty high. This signals to me that you may also have excessive oil temps. Can you you keep your average oil temp under 240 with 200 degree WT?
Is the WT controlled by a thermostat? If so, maybe you could go to 160 degree. If no thermostat is used, there may be other options to control the WT.

Strip Poker 388 06-01-2010 12:53 PM

Call Mark at Precision Marine http://www.pmefi.com/ 504-469-7463. There's a lot of people that use him with good results.

http://px5.sfstatic.com/thumbs/0000/20/57/70275.jpgHustler dyno pull 911hp 11.5 lbs,Whipple

stevesxm 06-01-2010 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by BenPerfected (Post 3124258)
FLFD250,
A 200 degree WT in a BBC marine application is pretty high. This signals to me that you may also have excessive oil temps. Can you you keep your average oil temp under 240 with 200 degree WT?
Is the WT controlled by a thermostat? If so, maybe you could go to 160 degree. If no thermostat is used, there may be other options to control the WT.

on an efi motor you have to run a t stat. or the thing will operate on the cold start end of the fuel curve forever and wash out everything quite quickly... but that doesn't explain why the thing is running over 200 water temp on a regular basis... that is just as bad an idea

ZXXX Donzi 06-01-2010 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by stevesxm (Post 3124450)
on an efi motor you have to run a t stat. or the thing will operate on the cold start end of the fuel curve forever and wash out everything quite quickly... but that doesn't explain why the thing is running over 200 water temp on a regular basis... that is just as bad an idea

You do not have to run a T-stat on an EFI motor. Not if you have it programmed that way. I don't on mine and that is how Eddie sets up many of his.

HaxbySpeed 06-01-2010 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by stevesxm (Post 3124450)

Although incorrect that is one of the most polite posts I've seen you make. You must be mellowing in your old age..
:lolhit:

oh ya, and I agree with Strip, I've heard lots of good things about Mark at precision.

thundercat1001 06-01-2010 10:41 PM

I have always had good results with Arizona Speed and Marine for what it is worth.

stevesxm 06-02-2010 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed (Post 3124827)
Although incorrect that is one of the most polite posts I've seen you make. You must be mellowing in your old age..
:lolhit:

oh ya, and I agree with Strip, I've heard lots of good things about Mark at precision.

no.. just that i disagree completely. one of the best parameters that you can use in calibrating a fuel curve is the water temp and while eddie and others may be absolutely correct in that you can obviate the need for that by making the assumption that you will always have stable temps in a specific range and set up the tables that way, it is my belief that not utilizing that tool is just leaving performance on the table. now... as i have said before, i am a proponent of slightly higher water temps then is generally considered around here to be correct. i think if you are running your v8 at less that 160 you are making a mistake BUT that excludes these blower motors at high boost becuase that is a different set of requirements. in this case... normally aspirated V8, injected non race motor, he would get better both performance and better longevity if he had a thermostat to stabilize the temps and a fuel curve program that supported it.

ZXXX Donzi 06-02-2010 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by stevesxm (Post 3124967)
no.. just that i disagree completely. one of the best parameters that you can use in calibrating a fuel curve is the water temp and while eddie and others may be absolutely correct in that you can obviate the need for that by making the assumption that you will always have stable temps in a specific range and set up the tables that way, it is my belief that not utilizing that tool is just leaving performance on the table. now... as i have said before, i am a proponent of slightly higher water temps then is generally considered around here to be correct. i think if you are running your v8 at less that 160 you are making a mistake BUT that excludes these blower motors at high boost becuase that is a different set of requirements. in this case... normally aspirated V8, injected non race motor, he would get better both performance and better longevity if he had a thermostat to stabilize the temps and a fuel curve program that supported it.

I make 942 hp with a 540 at just over 9lbs of boost. I am in my third trouble free season and my temps run cold but stable. My boat is happy both in and out of boost.