Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   holey carb gurus (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/232082-holey-carb-gurus.html)

FIXX 06-08-2010 07:47 PM

Fixx

Originally Posted by rssteiny (Post 3130853)
Both were at 1 turn out im going to turn them all the way in then 1 1/2 turn out then go from there on water this weekend.

Thanks guys

if you go 1 1/2 turns out it will probably stumble and load up at idle..out makes it fatter and in liens out the mixture.

i always start at 1/2 then adjust the rear throttle blade for idle..never touch the front,,read the c&s post,it has good info.

if your getting reversion at 800 rpms then you may have to live with it or restrict the water coming our of the pipes and run some through hull fittings and dump the water their to..

rssteiny 06-09-2010 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by mrfixxall (Post 3130855)
if you go 1 1/2 turns out it will probably stumble and load up at idle..out makes it fatter and in liens out the mixture.

i always start at 1/2 then adjust the rear throttle blade for idle..never touch the front,,read the c&s post,it has good info.

if your getting reversion at 800 rpms then you may have to live with it or restrict the water coming our of the pipes and run some through hull fittings and dump the water their to..

Mine only have 1 idle set screw and 2 air bleed screws in front none in rear.

blue thunder 06-09-2010 04:00 PM

The 2 screws that go in to the metering block on the front are the idle mix screws. The one screw that acts as a throttle stop is the idle screw. No such thing as air bleed screws.

Like mrfixx and I said, start at one turn out on the mix screws and go in (cw) evenly with both until the problem resolves.

Thunderstruck 06-09-2010 09:10 PM

Rick, I run the idle screws in a little at a time with the boat in gear idling until the motor dies. Then back out 1/8 or 1/4 turn on each idle screw. Needs a lot of warmup to idle but doesn't load up.

ezstriper 06-10-2010 06:31 AM

also put a timing light on it, make sure the timing is not backing off when you put in gear...that will act just like a carb issue..Rob

qaberdeen 06-10-2010 07:34 AM

Man, r any of u guys coming to Bermuda soon..I had the same problem last season..I recently sent the carb back to be recalibrated..haven't sea trailed yet to see if it's any better..but will keep u guys updated..n i only have 12hrs on this motor..

qaberdeen 06-10-2010 07:39 AM

rssteiny.. i feel your pain..mines does the same thing..idles fine.. around 950rpms, but once in gear and under load it drops instantly to around 650rpms and stumbles n wants to cut out unless i come up on the throttles..i ready to sacrifice speed for a dock friendly boat..good luck.but if u have any findings please advise..

Q

jeff1000man 06-10-2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by blue thunder (Post 3131561)
The 2 screws that go in to the metering block on the front are the idle mix screws. The one screw that acts as a throttle stop is the idle screw. No such thing as air bleed screws.

Like mrfixx and I said, start at one turn out on the mix screws and go in (cw) evenly with both until the problem resolves.

The air bleeds on that carb are not adjustable. They are bulit into the metering blocks on the top/ That is also something to check and make sure that they are not cloged or restriccted. You can pull the bowl screws off the front of the carb. the metering block is sandwiched between the carb and the main body. Blow air from the bottom openings of the metering block out so that any debris comes out of the block instead of going in further.

You may just want to buy an upgraded carb from holley with 4 corner idle circuit since you have gone to the steeper cam to help the engine out.

rssteiny 06-10-2010 03:30 PM

I have a set of 2 year old bg demonds 875s maybe i should try them just need to do some different plumbing. Im going to play with the holleys this weekend on the water see what happens first ill let you all know.

Thanks

rssteiny 06-10-2010 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck (Post 3131859)
Rick, I run the idle screws in a little at a time with the boat in gear idling until the motor dies. Then back out 1/8 or 1/4 turn on each idle screw. Needs a lot of warmup to idle but doesn't load up.

What size cams are you running, how is it working this year.