holey carb gurus

Notices

holey carb gurus

Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rssteiny
You spinning 30s at 5500 with nose cones right.
yep.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Registered

Try cleaning the air bleeds with some carb. cleaner, by sticking the red nozzle into the air bleeds. This carb. worked well once upon a time. Also a blown power vale will cause ir to be rich at idle.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I would first warm engine to operating temp set floats, and then set timing. I would run as much intial timing as possible at least 14 degrees with full advance around 35 to 36. Then set idel mixtures to max vac or rpm usually 3/4 turn out. should idel about 950 out of gear. put boat in water and install vac gauge. make sure when ideling in gear u do not drop vac under your power valve vac rating which is usually a 6.5 vac rating. If you are below that you need to change powervalve to lower vac opening then in gear idel vac. Just my 2 cents good luck!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rvtransport
I would first warm engine to operating temp set floats, and then set timing. I would run as much intial timing as possible at least 14 degrees with full advance around 35 to 36. Then set idel mixtures to max vac or rpm usually 3/4 turn out. should idel about 950 out of gear. put boat in water and install vac gauge. make sure when ideling in gear u do not drop vac under your power valve vac rating which is usually a 6.5 vac rating. If you are below that you need to change powervalve to lower vac opening then in gear idel vac. Just my 2 cents good luck!
That how we do them, Great advise... Pete
Old 06-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Registered

Just a thought but my carbs were set up by Dean at Nickerson's and have always worked perfectly till I got my first tank of fuel with alcohol then they idled just as you stated all the carbs needed a extra 1/4 turn at each corner in the idle circuit. then they were back to there normal idle