Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Frozen 500efi... Now i guess i get to build a new one;-) >

Frozen 500efi... Now i guess i get to build a new one;-)

Notices

Frozen 500efi... Now i guess i get to build a new one;-)

Old 06-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen 500efi... Now i guess i get to build a new one;-)

Hey Guys,
I have been reading these boards a long time but have yet to step in. I learned a big lesson this year. When your boat is out of the water heat lamps are no guarantee! I have been boat for years and this is a first for me. My 2001 500EFI Froze this winter and popped a freeze plug. I made the repair and let it idle for awhile then took it out for a trial run. Well freeze plug is not the only issue. Oil and water mixture filled the oil res and end up blowing the vent tube out of the valve cover and filled the bilge within about 5-10 min. I caught it while the engine was still running and shut down. I guess the fun part is I get to build a new engine.

Is there a way to determine if it is heads or block with a complete tear down?

I will have more questions about the rebuild coming... if i have to dump that kind of money i am going to have fun with it. I haven't built one in a long time.

Where can i go with good parts of a 500efi if i were to move to a 540 block?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 06-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be leaking from the headers too, check them first, and get the oil/water mix out ASAP and circulate kerosene or ATF through the engine to get the moisture out.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

you cracked the block internally, chances are the heads are OK, you could probably get away with just a block replacement, but now is a good time to do your upgrades if you are wanting more HP.
where I'm located we will change 6-7 engines a year due to freeze damage.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is what i figured. If i went to a 540 dart block and 310 or 325 pro 1 heads what kind of performance increase would i expect? I know it depends on compression and cam. I have built a few engines in my day but it has been a few years and did not include EFI.

Would the intake and efi still be worthwhile with reprogram and injectors or at that point would i need to build all new block up?

If you had a 500efi with a cracked block what would be your suggestions for upgrading? If I build new and put the money into it, I would like to see a significant increase. If the increase is minimal I would rather just do a block replacement and save the money or buy a pro charger.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 06-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

If it popped a freeze plug, then it probably cracked the block in the lifter valley.

With the stock EFI, the most you can get is about 600hp. It is the limiting factor.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by Griff
If it popped a freeze plug, then it probably cracked the block in the lifter valley.

With the stock EFI, the most you can get is about 600hp. It is the limiting factor.
you took the words rite off my fingers

you could acheve more but you would have to procharge it!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by monkeytally
that is what i figured. If i went to a 540 dart block and 310 or 325 pro 1 heads what kind of performance increase would i expect? I know it depends on compression and cam. I have built a few engines in my day but it has been a few years and did not include EFI.

Would the intake and efi still be worthwhile with reprogram and injectors or at that point would i need to build all new block up?

If you had a 500efi with a cracked block what would be your suggestions for upgrading? If I build new and put the money into it, I would like to see a significant increase. If the increase is minimal I would rather just do a block replacement and save the money or buy a pro charger.

Thanks
Kevin
Don't forget that if yo go to DART stuff, then yo will need new oil pan, timing cover, oil remote, fuel pump block off plate. and a few other things as the generation is different.

Good luck.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I built 540's out of my 500EFI's (well, some buddies did, I just wrote the checks).

540CI
9.75/1
ported 308 Iron Eagle heads
cam similar to a 741 (slightly bigger)
55# injectors
monoblade intake with front opened up
Shipped and dyno'ed at Precision Marine in complete marine dress.
630hp (5,200) and 700tq (at 4,300).

Ran great and sounded even better.....but for the money spent I wouldn't do it again. 2 engines cost nearly 20K and we did all the labor ourselves.

BTW: Precision noted we were holding the engine back due to lack of airflow.