Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cutting off angled tips, any Suggestions?? >

Cutting off angled tips, any Suggestions??

Notices

Cutting off angled tips, any Suggestions??

Old 05-07-2002, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cutting off angled tips, any Suggestions??

I keep losing the internal shutters in my exhaust thru hulls. So, I am going to cut off the angled tips (while on the boat, hopefully).
and add external flappers. Has anyone ever done this? Best tool to use to cut the stainless pipe? I have recip saws, grinders, etc, so what would be best???? Your suggestions please!!
Old 05-07-2002, 01:32 PM
Brad Perry

I don't know that I would do that. It would be very tough to cut. Grinding could do it, but it wouldn't look very good. Stainless tends to work-harden as the saw cuts. I am replacing my temporary tips to some others I just had some work done on. These tips are just short, straight with flappers in and out. The service shop where I bought my boat just gave them to me, there were many just lying around from customers that changed styles, etc... I was just using them while debugging to make sure I didn't have any back pressure until, I could get the baffles out of my corsa tips. They looked better on my boat, but couldn't use muffled tips anymore. You are welcome to these if they will work for you. [email protected]

Old 05-07-2002, 01:33 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that you are about to make a major mistake. You should do this the right way by pulling the tips off. A sawz-all isn't the right tool because it cannot make a clean straight cut. Plus starting them is a *****. A grinder with a cut-off wheel isn't the right tool either because it'll blue the metal. I suppose a portable band saw would work, but how do you make your cut straight & square?

Pull the tips off and clamp them into a band saw. You'll proably have to make up a wood block to clamp it in. If you have a sharp fine blade and feed it slowly you'll only have to do a little dress up to remove the burrs.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:42 PM
turbo2256

pull them off and put them in a lathe????

Old 05-07-2002, 01:53 PM
Intolerant1

You could cut them with a sawzall with a carbide blade. Clean up the ends with a die grinder and then throw on a set of the Shotgun silencers as they slip over the tip and would hide your cut job.

Old 05-07-2002, 02:07 PM
Registered

I just did this last week. Pull them off and put them on a band saw. Had to block it up and put a level on it to make sure i was cutting them at a perfect angle. Went through it like butter. Cleaned the ends up with the wire wheel, and turned out perfect. Don't try and cut them in the boat.......
Old 05-07-2002, 02:24 PM
Registered

The lathe idea is intriging...had not thougt of that one! The carbide blade is good also.....but I think I need some justification for more of the tools in my home shop, so band saw will probably get the job. Brad, very generous offer, & I may take you up on it!
Thanks guys.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:29 PM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Default Awwwwe thats just great!!!!

I just installed those angled tips with the internal shutters and your telling me they are a chronic problem. Anybody else having problems with this style exhaust tip. I purchased mine from Eddie Marine.

I agree with the masses. Remove before cutting.

Paul
Old 05-07-2002, 04:20 PM
Registered

I would put them on a lathe....if you have access to one. It will give you a clean, flat edge that's true to the rest of the part.

Good luck.....they need angled flappers
Old 05-07-2002, 04:57 PM
Registered

I will remove them. I am going to use Brad's pair as a temp'y fix until I can replace both sides with new tips. Dang, those things are high when you start replacing them 4 at a time! Oh, the pleasure of twins!

Quick Reply: Cutting off angled tips, any Suggestions??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.