Problem with my 454  Please Help >

Problem with my 454 Please Help

Notices

Problem with my 454 Please Help

Old 07-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with my 454 Please Help

Well To put it honestly. I think the guy who did my winterization did a s%it job and I am screwed. Reason for saying this is it was late in the season and I think I was last on his list to get done.

I got my boat ready last weekend and took it out of storage. I changed the oil, Got everything cleaned up and checked. Ran the boat in my driveway with ears on for about 1/2 an hour and everything was good.

Took it out on the lake and drove it for an hour. Stopped for a while and went to do a double check on everything and when I checked the oil It was Hershey's Choc Milk.

Went directly back to the dock and I am praying that I don't have a cracked block but not sure what to do first. Any help on troubleshooting this will be GREATLY Appreciated.

Not sure where to start. What to look for.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have stock exhaust?
How much higher was your oil level?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pull some spark plugs and see if there is water in the cylinders
Old 07-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Registered

Stock Exhaust. Oil Level? What can that tell me. Thanks
Old 07-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblock666
Stock Exhaust. Oil Level? What can that tell me. Thanks
If the level is up, it may be because you have water added to the oil. That's why you check it. Many times though, there's so little water getting in that it doesn't show as a change in oil level. As somebody else mentioned, pull some plugs and see what they look like. I'd also do a visual check of the outside of the block and exhaust manifolds. Most times, you'll see a rusty stain indicating the problem. Remember, a blown head gasket can also cause the milkshake effect.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so far this year he have done 6 engine replacements from freezing, I would suggest you drain your oil and see how much over full it is. check the area around the block drains and just under the cyl. head on the block for any external cracks, BBC don't always crack externally, the most common place on BBC is in the intake valley behind the pushrods and just above the oil pan surface on the inside.
on the sever freezes it will get the heads, but that is not to offen.
check the exaust manifolds for external cracks, I have never seen one break inside with out breaking outside, If there are no cracks that you can see then the manifolds are probably OK.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Registered

What would the plugs look like if there was a problem? I have a rusty stain on the side of my stock manifold. I assume this is just a bad gasket that lets a bit of water seep down the side of the manifold. Is this a problem?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 07:28 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is just running down from the elbow, No, but it should be replaced because it can leak inside as easy as it leaks outside.
is there any rusty stains at the bottom running horizontal with the manifold? How much over full was the oil?
Old 07-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Registered

Oil is not over full and it is in one spot running down from the elbow. It is on a 454 Mag set up like a 525SC Clone. I should probably change to an aftermarket exhaust anyway. Lance and John from Price keep telling me to build it up but it is a 1988 242 Formula with 450 hours on it so it will never run with their Heats anyway.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodi
Oil is not over full and it is in one spot running down from the elbow. It is on a 454 Mag set up like a 525SC Clone. I should probably change to an aftermarket exhaust anyway. Lance and John from Price keep telling me to build it up but it is a 1988 242 Formula with 450 hours on it so it will never run with their Heats anyway.
what all did you do with the mag to make the 525sc clone? I have a pair of mags and am buying weiand 177's that were taken off a pair of hawk engines w/carbs and intercoolers. Any info would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.