Radio issue... >

Radio issue...

Notices

Radio issue...

Old 07-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio issue...

Ok so I installed a new sony head unit and polk audio speakers last night. The issue I am having is that when the radio is turned up it cuts out. I wired up a dedicated ground and power wire and still the same thing. Mind you I ran all new quality speaker wires to the speakers. I have never had this is issue in any of my other boats and I have installed quite a few systems in my vehicles without issue.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Registered

First to check is to make sure you have none of the speaker outs crossed causing a short. This will make the unit clip and mainly atfull volume. It will still play at lower levels if just a small touch. If the install is clean you slimply are clipping the interna amp. Thy are only about 15 watts rms and your speakers are rated for around 60. The amp can't push them so it builds up heat and checks out. Put an amp in even a cheap Sony amp from Wal mart for 99 will sound great with those speakersand you won't cut off anymore.
Hope this helps and my background is this stuff. Worked for a few of the big companies and back in the day won a few iasca comps. Electonics can drive you crazy but the answers are usually simple(;
Old 07-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Registered

I know what you mean about the amp. I plan on installing a 4 channel JL audio Marine Amp just to run the seperates and 6x9's. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something here.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

what size power and ground wires do you have from the radio and how long are they? It does sound like it may be clipping the internal amp but it could be a combination of not enough power getting to the radio at the same time...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Registered

Ran dedicated14 guage power and ground to the radio.