Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Carter Carburetor keeps flooding >

Carter Carburetor keeps flooding

Notices

Carter Carburetor keeps flooding

Old 08-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought Blue thunder was talking about the actual fuel pump itself leaking causing fuel to come from the tell tale hose. I checked that hose and ran it into a separate container to double check it. Fuel is deffinately comming from another place. Im going to remove the carb today and inspect it very closely i fear i have a cracked housing and if thats the case I have a holly 750DP at that will probably go on if I cant figure out the Carter. I will just have to adapt the fuel lines to the holley.

I really just wanted to make this carb last till winter so i dont dump a bunch of money into a carb i dont plan on keeping.

yes i used Marine Grade Stuff, Alternator, Starter, Water pump.

I appreciate the input from all of you and thank yall for all the replys. I was fully expecting smartass answers like "Search it" or "Buy fuel injection".

I am not a fan of carter carburetors either by any means. I have plans for a better intake and carb this winter and a stronger ignition coil maybe a set of heads I dont know yet. I would like to wake this 300 horse 454 up just a bit to maybe 400hp by building up the top end. I really dont want to remove the engine for a cam swap just yet, that will be after i blow it up. It doesnt have to be blazing fast, just a bit faster than other similar boats.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by murdered6.2
I thought Blue thunder was talking about the actual fuel pump itself leaking causing fuel to come from the tell tale hose. I checked that hose and ran it into a separate container to double check it. Fuel is deffinately comming from another place. Im going to remove the carb today and inspect it very closely i fear i have a cracked housing and if thats the case I have a holly 750DP at that will probably go on if I cant figure out the Carter. I will just have to adapt the fuel lines to the holley.

I really just wanted to make this carb last till winter so i dont dump a bunch of money into a carb i dont plan on keeping.

yes i used Marine Grade Stuff, Alternator, Starter, Water pump.

I appreciate the input from all of you and thank yall for all the replys. I was fully expecting smartass answers like "Search it" or "Buy fuel injection".

I am not a fan of carter carburetors either by any means. I have plans for a better intake and carb this winter and a stronger ignition coil maybe a set of heads I dont know yet. I would like to wake this 300 horse 454 up just a bit to maybe 400hp by building up the top end. I really dont want to remove the engine for a cam swap just yet, that will be after i blow it up. It doesnt have to be blazing fast, just a bit faster than other similar boats.
Yes, fuel pump, not accelerator pump. So if you suck on the tattletale hose murdered6.1 there is no fuel? Also smell the motor oil on the dipstick for fuelishness.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered

I was running it last night on the hose and sea pump decided to self destruct. So until i get parts to fix sea pump im out of luck for now. The hose does not have any fuel in it what so ever. Oil smells a bit like fuel and will be getting changed soon. Probably getting a holley carburetor Friday as well.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Registered

You have to actually put a vacuum on the hose to get fuel out. Just looking at the hose won't necessarily tell you. You could also remove a fuel like at the pump and blow into the hose to see if air comes out the fuel fitting in the pump. If it does the diaphram is cracked.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Registered
Gold Member

does your fuel pump run off of the seawater pump on a 97 or is it bolted to the side of the block?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Registered

I ran the hose into a separate container and ran it and it has the same problem. Yes fuel pump runs off sea pump. I think i may have it figured out though. apparently the choke would work normally and then after a few minutes of running it the choke would close and starve the engine of air. Being that its a bazzillion degrees where i live 8 months out of the year I elected to remove the choke plate all together and try it like that this weekend. After i replaced the sea pump wholy cow was there a bunch more water comming out of the exhaust! I had water comming out before but not like it does now and the water manifolds are barely warm whereas before i could touch them but it was uncomfortable. There are some wires going to the bottom of the manifolds but i dont know what they do, im guessing a temp sensor of some sort. anyway im slowly learning this boat thing out.

I still need to get my prop worked on i need a drive shower and since none of the switches have symbols or wording on them anymore i need to find some new ones and still need to figure out what the last three switches do.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Registered

Ok so i rebuilt the sea pump and installed new edelbrock 750 cfm marine carburetor. I went with edelbrock because its a direct bolt on, sorry but i didnt feel like making a new bracket for the throttle and to hold the stuff that says Mercathode on it. I took boat the the water and ran it. It ran great! I found that as long as you dont haul ass it wont flood but as soon as you get above say 45-50ish for a few minutes it begins to black smoke run bad and bog down and die. Fuel will be puddled in the bottom of the intake. If you let it sit for a few minutes it will fire back up and run and once it clears out it will run for a bit. I ran it all the way back to the dock at about 35 mph with no problems.

Im guessing maybe with the extra engine rpm fuel pressure could be rising too much? It doesnt have a fuel pressure regulator on it and i havent had a chance to check fuel pressure. I can say the boat runs way better with the new carb and the dead spot the old carb had is gone with the new carb. I still have the original problem though i may have fixed the tuning issue i was working on with the new carb.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also the hose comming from the fuel pump doesnt leak even with a vacume on it. And yes the sea pump drives the fuel pump.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Registered

I think you are right, high fuel pressure at speed. Only thing that should cause it with two carbs. Not normal, but it can happen, especially if someone put a non stock pump on.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Registered

If you have too high a fuel pressure you can lower the float level a bit and it will stop the flooding.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Registered

hmmmmm... I might try that! thanks! You guys are a lot more helpfull than anyone I have talked to. being that this boat has a mechanical fuel pump and that it doesnt have a fuel pressure regulator, what regulates the fuel pressure in a fuel system using a mechanical pump like this one? I feel like i should know this but by the time i started turning wrenches i use a DVOM and a scanner more than i use my tools! I have limited knowlege of carburetor fuel systems but i can bout off boat loads of info about fuel injection for OBDII vehicles anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.