Remote pick-up bilge pump >

Remote pick-up bilge pump

Notices

Remote pick-up bilge pump

Old 08-16-2010, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote pick-up bilge pump

Anyone using a remote pickup bilge pump- Meaning a bilge pump that is mounted on a bulkhead or a stringer and has a pickup that can that can be put in the very back of the bilge in order to evacuate the most water from the bilge.And before anyone gives me any grief, the boat has no water leaks this would be for rain water or water from swimming ect. A standard bilge pump is usually located about 18 to 24 inches from the transom about 4 inches from the v in the bottom and it still leaves water in the bilge. Jabsco makes a pump called the water puppy but was wondering what everyone else is using and how they have it hooked up.Thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this after seeing it on a Cigarette. I got a washdown pump, hose and a strainer from West Marine. I also got a heavy duty float switch. I mounted the strainer way low in the bilge right in front of the drain hole. Ran the hose up on the right side to the pump (they can be run dry). And then plumbed it out the hull right above the normal bilge outlet. Hooked it to the bilge pump wiring already in place and replaced the float switch to make sure it could handle both pumps. You have to manually run the rear pump to get everything out but it keeps the bilge very dry. Like yours, my bilge pump is mounted in front of the engines so I always had 3-4 inches of water (nasty water) in the bilge, drove me crazy.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Registered

I'm going to put one of these way back right before the drain plug. Probably use 4200 to hold it on the hull, no screws.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ilge+Pump+12V#

Note: even tho it says 1250, the part number is for the 750.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a water puppy and their great. I have it mounted on the transom and it has a hose running down into the bildge with a heavy brass block shape pick up that has a screen on the bottom. Do a internet search for water puppy pump. You will find the prices vary a lot. I found one for $99 that was $165 at West Marine.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
I use a water puppy and their great. I have it mounted on the transom and it has a hose running down into the bildge with a heavy brass block shape pick up that has a screen on the bottom. Do a internet search for water puppy pump. You will find the prices vary a lot. I found one for $99 that was $165 at West Marine.
I have the same thing on my IMP. It pumps a lot of water quickly and keeps it dry enough the leftover water will evaporate.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This is what we have been using for low areas in the bilge. It's automatic and works great in front of the drain. Easy install also.

http://www.whalepumps.com/documents/...SMART_6501.pdf
Old 08-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Registered

Boatman do you have anymore info on the Whale it looks unique but a little strange to pump water. i clicked on the link and saw what they had to say and i am still curious about some things, it looks like less clutter than the Water Puppy
Old 08-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Codered
Boatman do you have anymore info on the Whale it looks unique but a little strange to pump water. i clicked on the link and saw what they had to say and i am still curious about some things, it looks like less clutter than the Water Puppy
Easy to install and they WORK! We sell them for around $70...we are not an advertiser so do a search on the internet and you might find it cheaper.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Registered

Do they mount in the bilge with screws or some sort of hardware? Wiring, switches ? what is necessary for rigging this type of pump, Do you think it is better than the water puppy style pump and pick up?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Registered

Be sure to use a screen if you use the puppy, they will hang up and blow a fuse if trash enters.
They will pump some water, have a good size rubber impeller. I actually used them to cool the engine in a flatbottom drag boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.