Electrical guru's...help a newbie will ya? 1995 Cig TG bow light

Notices

Electrical guru's...help a newbie will ya? 1995 Cig TG bow light

Old 09-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical guru's...help a newbie will ya? 1995 Cig TG bow light

***I posted this in Cig forum too***

Ok, so you can probably tell from the title that I'm not an expert with electrical...I just wanted to get that out of the way up front now please go easy on me and please HELP me...

Problem with bow/nav light...worked intermittently and now nothing. Tested light with test light, no power at bow light...hmm, okay, next tested switch with test light...here's where it gets interesting.

So it's a double pole, double throw switch right? I did search but I'm confused. The switch has a green light on top for the Nav function and a red light on the bottom for the Anchor function. When switched up to NAV the green WON'T light...I pulled the switch and tested all terminals. All had power, and when I touched the top left (when looking at it, green wire) the green light lit AND the test light lit...but still no light at the bow light.

Here's a pic of the switch

So a couple quesitons

1) Why aren't I getting power to the bow light?

2) Is the switch wired wrong?

3) Why does the switch light when I touch the green wire with the test light, but doesn't otherwise

Here's how the terminals are wired, looking down at the switch from drivers seat

Top Right terminal = Blue wire which is also run to bottom right switch

Middle right terminal = Red wire which is also run to middle left switch

Bottom right terminal = Blue from top right and a cream colored wire

Bottom left terminal = 2 white wires

Middle left terminal = Red wire from middle right terminal

Top left terminal = green wire

Please help guys, I want to get this working so I can enjoy Labor Day weekend without worrying about having to make it back home before dark.

Thanks in advance to anyone/everyone that helps
Old 09-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your grounds. The switch and light will need ground to work. What are you using to test for power? A test light or meter?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Registered

Default ground

it sounds like either your ground wire is either loose or off, or that the connection on the switch might have seperated a little bit, just enough that the pressure from the test light is making the connection. My first thought would be the ground. Every time I end up chasing electrical demons, 90% of the time it;s a loose/faulty ground.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Registered

Okay, which wire is the ground? I replaced the switch because the old switch was missing a terminal screw on one the terminals, so I know for a fact know that all terminals are making good connection. I screwed all screws down tightly and still nothing. Is the green wire the ground? I was thinking that it needed a ground and the test light was providing the ground, but I'm not sure. The test light was grounded, obviously, and then when I would touch the green wire the upper green light on the switch would light...still nothing with the bow light though and I couldn't test the bow light with a test light because the test light was on the switch

Thanks for the input guys...any more suggestions? I really want to get this resolved today...I know it's probably not the best timing to get help though...Friday night/Saturday morning of labor day weeekend, you're probably out enjoying your boats!!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Registered

You need a multi-meter to test up at the light. That way you can verify a good ground at the light and do a continuity test on the wire from the switch to the bow light to make sure there is a good path. A multi-meter would also verify the voltage on the switch terminal, but since your test light worked on the terminal that feeds the bow-light, it would seem the switch is functioning as it should.

Sounds like an issue with the bow light itself, the +12 lead from the switch to the bow light, or the bow light ground.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Registered

Well I am also replacing the bow light with an LED pop-up light. That's the first project for the day today drill the hole and mount the light. I just figured that since the old one didn't work I should try to find the problem before mounting the new one. The old one was intermittent, it did work but then blew out a bulb and now I can't seem to get any power to it, at least when using a test light to check it. I think I have the test light grounded good and nothing.

I crawled up into the forward v-berth last night to check the wiring and there are two splices right near the end of the light. When I replace the light I am going to get rid of those splices and run some new wire with only one splice and heat shrink connections. But I jammed the test light into the first set of splices figuring I should see power there on one of the wires and nothing there either...that's when I went to the switch...argh, I hate electrical problems!

Do you think that everything is fine with the switch even with the issue with the top half of the switch not lighting as I mentioned?

I think I do have a multi meter, but honestly don't really know how to use it. Can you explain a little more how to test with the multi meter? Sorry but I'm not that proficient with electrical as I'm sure you can tell
Old 09-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Registered

Worst case scenario you should be able to move one of your Accessory switches from over on the right hand side (assuming they aren't all being used) to the nav light switch location and just wire both the bow and stern/pole light to the switched side and get through this weekend.

Link in case you find you need a new switch.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...placement.html
Old 09-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Registered

The switch isn't the problem...put in a new switch that I got yesterday from Doller Offshore.

I think it's wired wrong. But I don't know which wires go to what and not sure how to find out. I'm going to test resistance with the multi-meter shortly to see if I can tell which wire runs to the bow light, but I'm hoping somebody knows which wires should be which or at least which wires should be on which terminals?

I know the red coming into the middle terminals is power in, but that's it. lol The blue wire is just jumped from top right to bottom right terminal which doesn't seem to make sense, power out to grnd??? Then there is also a cream colored wire on the bottom right terminal, could this be the ground? The green wire on the top left is not jumped to bottom left like the right side, there is two white wires in the same eye connector on the bottom left terminal? Again ground??? Maybe two wires because one is ground for the bow light and one is ground for the transom light??? No can't be because according to resistance of the switch bottom left should be power out, okay so power out for the bow and transom???

Okay, so help me understand here...middle terminals power in...so then when switch is pushed up to NAV position bottom is power out and top is ground? Only one side? Then it alternates when the switch is down in Anchor position? one side of bottom is grnd and top is power out?

I'm soooo confused, lol, and my damn light won't work...about to go buy a suction cup one from West marine and go party!

BUT i'm determined to not let this boat beat me...call me stubborn
Old 09-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Registered

Guys am I correct in my assumptions here...
Attached Files
Old 09-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can get me the diagram for the switch I could tell you in a second. If I was in your boat I could tell you in a second. Hard to explain over the internet. I will see if I can find a diagram of what I THINK that switch is and help ya out. On this computer I do not have word so I will see what I can do.

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.