Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Winterization.... some questions.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/240248-winterization-some-questions.html)

Fixxxer22 10-04-2010 08:15 PM

Winterization.... some questions....

Ok, I have had this Baja for 3 seasons now. Have onyl winterized it once due to the engine work i was doing the last two winters.... i have some problems.

1.) The boat is going into seasonal storage and will not be able to be even looked at until april... I had staining/rust in my bores and pushrod guides when i tore her down 2 years ago. i want to fog it or lube the cylinders and forget about it. dont care if i foul plugs or make a mess. my engine is worht way more to me than plugs or some cleaning of the bilge. So, just pour some oil into the cylinders and crank her over then throw the plugs in?

2.) this is how i winterize. warm her up on the hose first. drain the block, raw water pump, oil cooler, exhaust. Then run on the pink stuff through a pump until it comes through the exhaust. then i drain again.

I went through an old thread here on OSO. I do run a thermostat and i do have the bypass thermo housing that has hoses running to both the tails and manifolds. still the block fills. it takes about 5 gallons before i have fluid comming from the exhaust. then i drain the block again and all pink. prob cuz i run the circ pump with bypass.

any tips would be awesome guys. except moving south!:lolhit:

Griff 10-04-2010 09:13 PM

To fog it, just run a 50/50 mix of 2 cycle oil and Marvels Mystery Oil and slowly drizzle it into the top of the carb when running for the last minute and sucking in the AF.

Personally, I have never fogged my engines and never had a problem.
There should be enough oil on the cylinder walls to prevent any rust from forming.

mreedy 10-04-2010 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22 (Post 3223090)
1.) The boat is going into seasonal storage and will not be able to be even looked at until april...

Where u storing the boat, Miss. Fairgrounds, I've been looking for storage myself.

Expensive Date 10-04-2010 09:34 PM

I put some two stroke oil in with the fuel filters then run the antifreeze through.On a fuel injected engine you are not supposed to drop it in the intake.

Perlmudder 10-04-2010 09:44 PM

agreed, on fuel injection we put some two stroke oil in the fuel filter and let it run till it smokes

Fixxxer22 10-05-2010 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mreedy (Post 3223139)
Where u storing the boat, Miss. Fairgrounds, I've been looking for storage myself.

low moor fire department owns the old black hawk boat sales. its $50 a month and i am ok friends with the dude that runs it. They pour comet and other junk all around to keep mice out. never have had any problems with coons and other stuff either. not heated but under a roof.

Knot 4 Me 10-05-2010 10:55 AM

I used fogging oil when winterizing my carb motors. I would use two cans. As the pink was being drawn in, at about the 2 gallon left mark I would start spraying one of the cans down the primaries. This would make the motor stumble a bit but keep running. Just as the pink was about to run out, I would open up with the second can and that would kill the motor. She would smoke like a b!tch on startup in the spring but would clear right up. Never had a problem with fouled plugs.

Fixxxer22 10-05-2010 06:57 PM

It was for sure rust in the cylinder walls. Just a couple of them. Looked like the oil ring perfectly on the walls.

FIXX 10-06-2010 12:52 AM

Fixx

this is how i do mine..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzDob8um5Xc I dont use the pink stuff,when i check the freezing point with my refractor its only good for +17*,at that point it turns into slush then it will freeze after that..it will also seep into your head gaskets and rot them out in a hurry, i just replaced a customers motor due to a rotted out head gasket and the inside of his block was coated pink along with the bad areas to where the head gasket rotted and a internal crack..

i use lowtox or sierra..

Griff 10-06-2010 01:28 AM

Pink -50 RV antifreeze does not have any corrosion inhibitors and it will actually freeze solid around 0*. It just does not expand like water does.