Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What is the Stock Oil cooler size on a Gen 5 502 MPI? >

What is the Stock Oil cooler size on a Gen 5 502 MPI?

Notices

What is the Stock Oil cooler size on a Gen 5 502 MPI?

Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What is the Stock Oil cooler size on a Gen 5 502 MPI?

Looking for the stock size of the oil cooler on a Gen 5 502 MPI. I thought I had measured mine at 3"X18", but i'm being told that is already upgraded. I'll have to go bigger as I can't maintain the oil temps that I'd like (215). Please let me know what the stock size is. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:09 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

How hot are the oil temps getting and where are you getting the readings from??

A stock 502mpi won't maintain 215* oil temps running it hard.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
How hot are the oil temps getting and where are you getting the readings from??

A stock 502mpi won't maintain 215* oil temps running it hard.
I would think if the oil cooling was adequate, I should be able to hold the 210 degree oil temp which is where my oil thermostat opens. I'm measuring temp at the remote filter housing. I usually climb to about 220-230 with wot. If i'm prolonged full throttle I can see 250. At the 230 i'm seeing a little over 40lbs of oil pressure @5000 rpms with 20/50. I'd rather see closer to 50 lbs and getting my oil temps closer to 215 would do that. I'd like to be able to run longer wot with keeping the oil temps cooler which is why i'd like to know the stock size of the cooler. I am also looking into upgrading the block adapter and remote filter housing to get the bigger oil lines so I get more flow.

Does anyone have any info on the stock cooler size?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

2 X 13 http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...ER+AND+ADAPTOR

That should be plenty of oil cooler. Pull it and make sure there isn't any debri in there. Might need bigger oil lines or new thermostat.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
I would think if the oil cooling was adequate, I should be able to hold the 210 degree oil temp which is where my oil thermostat opens. I'm measuring temp at the remote filter housing. I usually climb to about 220-230 with wot. If i'm prolonged full throttle I can see 250. At the 230 i'm seeing a little over 40lbs of oil pressure @5000 rpms with 20/50. I'd rather see closer to 50 lbs and getting my oil temps closer to 215 would do that. I'd like to be able to run longer wot with keeping the oil temps cooler which is why i'd like to know the stock size of the cooler. I am also looking into upgrading the block adapter and remote filter housing to get the bigger oil lines so I get more flow.

Does anyone have any info on the stock cooler size?

220-230 is PERFECT. Most guys I know who do dyno work, wont do a pull until the oil temp is around 220. Also 250 is not a problem for modern synthetics. As for pressure, you can try a different oil.

Darrell.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DMOORE
220-230 is PERFECT. Most guys I know who do dyno work, wont do a pull until the oil temp is around 220. Also 250 is not a problem for modern synthetics. As for pressure, you can try a different oil.

Darrell.
I've been using Brad Penn 20/50 semi synthetic since after break in. Engine has about 60 hrs on it. I know the pressure when hot will go right back up to 50 when the oil temps drop back to around 200. I'd be open to suggestions If someone thinks a different oil would hold more pressure with the heat? I still think it would be a good idea to open up the oil fittings with a different block adapter and filter housing.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Amsoil, I am also a dealer, PM me if interested.
I use all 12AN lines and fittings, Canton Racing adaptor on the block. I used the stock merc filter mount but opened up the inside with a rotory tool. There are some real sharp edges that can be removed.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
I use Amsoil, I am also a dealer, PM me if interested.
I use all 12AN lines and fittings, Canton Racing adaptor on the block. I used the stock merc filter mount but opened up the inside with a rotory tool. There are some real sharp edges that can be removed.
What size are the fittings on the stock filter mount? Did you use AN type fittings on everything?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
What size are the fittings on the stock filter mount? Did you use AN type fittings on everything?
Yes, I used AN on everything. Not sure what the thread size is on the remote filter mount.
On the block, be sure you get the 30psi pressure valve on the side, and make sure the center one is removed.