Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Top Speed for a 22' Daytona, or DCB Mach or other Tunnel? >

Top Speed for a 22' Daytona, or DCB Mach or other Tunnel?

Notices

Top Speed for a 22' Daytona, or DCB Mach or other Tunnel?

Old 11-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Top Speed for a 22' Daytona, or DCB Mach or other Tunnel?

I'm considering a DCB (Daves Custom Boat) Mach 22 with a 500 HP in it. But is only does 80 MPH, I would have thought it would be closer to 90??

Looking at 1995-2005 range (=in my price range)

I want and I/O (for the sound) and a big block, either 454 or 502 Magnum or 496 or 500 HP.

What sort of speeds are you getting from these boats?

How do they run?

Do they porpoise at slow speeds?

If you have one (or had one) what did you do to improve it? (such as a shorty drive or ??)
Old 11-27-2010, 02:27 AM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ged-540-a.html
Old 11-27-2010, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

The eliminator and the DCB will be essentially the same speed providing the set up is correct. They don't have a hop and turn level. They handle a lot more power with ease. Might be able to get a little more out of the dcb with the 500 in it likely to be propped for overall handling. One of my friends had a 22 DAytona Blackhawk edition. Was the fastest production boat with a stock 502 mag efi 91 mph. Pretty outstanding. The problem was handling, would not turn and he spun once. The dcb will be built well and the 500 is an easy platform to modify for more hp. Probably a good choice. These boats have their work cut out for them in snotty water.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a 22' Talon with twin outboards running 110 mph. Not many 22' tunnels out there running I/O's as compared to outboards. Both the Talon and DCB are centerpod boats that have much less tendency to porpoise at slow speeds compared to a true tunnel. All I/O boats will have a centerpod. A lot of the handling depends on the balance, x-dim and prop set-up. My Talon never porpoised.

If you are set on an I/O boat, you may want to look up to 25'. A lot more to choose from. If you haven't already, I recommend researching over at screamandfly too. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check per.boats forums...

there is a nice DCB 22' on ebay- and a thread on performance-
boatsforums in the tunnels and cats tech section on this boat
owner says 84mph @ 4200rpm with an hp500- check it out!
Old 11-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Registered

There's a guy on oso, that has a 22 daytona w 960hp motor built by whipple, that runs close to 130+. I can't remember his handle. Someone help me..
Old 11-28-2010, 11:12 AM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenkeeper
There's a guy on oso, that has a 22 daytona w 960hp motor built by whipple, that runs close to 130+. I can't remember his handle. Someone help me..
22 Daytona, click on the link above,
Old 11-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
One of my friends had a 22 DAytona Blackhawk edition. Was the fastest production boat with a stock 502 mag efi 91 mph. Pretty outstanding. The problem was handling, would not turn and he spun once. These boats have their work cut out for them in snotty water.
I found a blackhawk edition, and was really tempted (but it needs hydraulic steering, espcially if it'll do 91)

How did he spin it? To much trim while turning?

And in the snotty weather, what do they do? I've heard they handle chop very well.

P.S. And I'm going from a 20'7" Vbottom Eliminator with pad, so anything would be a smoother ride, mine feels like sports car set up for the track, you are connected to the lake (good for me, but not for some)
Old 11-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

It is a 22 foot boat which handles whitecaps very well. If you boat typically where you have cruiser wakes may not be big enough. I thought it did very well in rougher water for it's size. It will be better than your Eagle. I would drive the Blackhawk edition before you buy it. Either you will like it or not. The boat is very balanced and efficient running. It will likely have the 31 p props which takes some time to plane. Turning is the main problem. The best you can describe it is like turning a jet. Doesn't want to turn with out power applied. It spun on him at low speed turn while going through boat wakes. No one hurt but threw his father in law out. I think the right sponson dug in shifting center of gravity forward. The skeg is large on the blackhawk but there's still not a lot in the water. The blackhawk stresses the gimbal and they can wear quickly. Hydraulic would strengthen things. It is a different animal that not all would like. With that said was one of my favorites of all time. Since blackhawks no longer available might want to pick up a spare there are three available in the classifieds. Keep your eye out for props as well...
Old 11-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Greenkeeper
placecraft...somthing or other- he has a big write up over on
performanceboatsforums- bad ass boat, did all rigging/etc
himself. top notch work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.