Engine driven air conditioning >

Engine driven air conditioning

Notices

Engine driven air conditioning

Old 12-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Engine driven air conditioning

What do folks do that have a canopy boat for air conditioning? Is there a way to use the air conditioning setup out of a car, and the fabricate some kind of a condenser that is water cooled? Maybe route the incoming water through this condenser by using the water pump on the motor (before goiong into the engine)? I only need the a/c when the boat is running, and do not want to carry the additional weight that would be needed to run a 12v system. Any ideas? Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see why you cannot do that..the condensor is going to be the only pain..call one of the aftermarket places like vintage air see if someone there can help..done a lot of a/c work both car and boat and am a mermaid dealer....if you can get the condensor deal worked out should not be a issue...good luck Rob
Old 12-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Registered

http://www.nauticoolair.com/
Old 12-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
From their website:
Does your boat have a cabin that you use for thing but storage area because it is just too hot to use in the summer?
I can't stand when supposedly professional companies have blatant grammatical mistakes in their advertisements. I'm not an English major, but damn...

I also can't see this system working very well. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you're boat is over 23' it seems that an engine based A/C is going to have a helluva time keeping up, especially given that these things aren't insulated very well.
The following users liked this post:
SABER28 (05-31-2021)
Old 12-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Registered

Eliminator Boats seems to have confidence in them:
__________________________________________________ ___
ELIMINATOR BOATS TO OFFER NAUTICOOL AIR SYSTEM

NAUTICOOL AIR IS NOW AN OPTION ON ELIMINATORS

NAUTICOOL AIR announced that Eliminator Boats of Mira Loma, Ca. will begin offering the NAUTICOOL AIR system to it's new boat customers. Since 1969, Eliminator has been building custom powerboats and leading their field in performance hull technology. They currently build boats from 19 to 40 feet. They offer two hull designs, catamarans and vee bottoms. This arrangement makes Eliminator the first OEM builder to offer NAUTICOOL AIR, engine driven marine a/c system as a factory installed option on their new boats. Bob Leach, Founder and President of Eliminator Custom Boats said, "I believe that the NautiCool A/C System is the best out there." The first boat to be outfitted will be their newly redesigned 38 foot Eagle XP. This sleekly styled step V hull with the NautiCool Air System will be debuted to the Eliminator dealers at their annual dealer meeting on Lake Mead in Nevada. Jim Foley, Eliminator's national sales manager said, "we have had requests in the past for air conditioning but our boats being powerboats don't have the room for a generator. Most of our customers spend the day on their boat in the water, this is when they want a/c, not after they are done for the day. Most don't spend the night on their boat and a system that needs 110 volt power to run it doesn't make sense to them." Mike Tomlinson, the general manager of Eliminator Boats of Texas and chief referee for Offshore Super Series racing circuit said, "I can see the NautiCool system being used on the race boats, especially in the closed canopy boats. You know it really gets hot in those types of boats and those guys would really welcome the idea of an air conditioned cockpit." John Brunner of NautiCool said that he looks forward to working closely with Eliminator as they add new models to their line of custom powerboats and sees enjoying a long and prosperous relationship with Bob Leach and Eliminator Boats.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

I think Wild has an engine driven AC system in Speedy.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Registered

It depends what they're offering it for, and what you plan on getting out of it. If the idea is to have a cool cabin when you anchor, or to have a cool cabin while you're driving long distances - I'm all for it. However, if the idea is to run the motors and cool the cabin while your anchored, it seems pretty dumb to me.

Do you really want to log hours on your motors that need to be maintained, tuned, adjusted, etc. just to shave 10 degrees off of the cabin temp?

If you need it to be cold this bad get a chit load of batteries and a water drawn A/C system, or a generator. To run 4-500 hp motor to power a compressor that probably takes about 2hp to turn seems ridiculous to me.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I think Wild has an engine driven AC system in Speedy.
Although that was the plan, I'm not sure if he ever actually got it installed with all of the engine problems he had early on last season. I'm sure he'll chime in.

36Tango - perhaps you can elaborate a bit more on the boat this will be used for...
Old 12-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My neighbor had a 28 Excel with what appeared to be factory air from Wellcraft. I believe the hull date was 88 and I saw this setup in 92 so if it was aftermarket that dates it. He never used it as the belt was broken so I never heard how it worked.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

The air would be 100% when running. This is not a boat that you would anchor and sit inside. It is a V24 BatBoat
V24powerboats.com
The following users liked this post:
SB (05-30-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.