Cylinder head upgrade >

Cylinder head upgrade

Notices

Cylinder head upgrade

Old 12-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder head upgrade

I talked with a guy from AFR he's telling me $3100 for 290cc oval port magnum heads with the cnc port work, and hard anodized coating in water jacket, ready to bolt on... Are these my best option on cc's.?

im looking for mid and top end power
Wasnt looking to spend so much money and not have a cam as well

What if i send my heads to to get bored out etc, what would be the power difference?

Trying to get some nice power for a good price but not burn up to much money.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're talking about upgrading that 454 that may be a 330hp motor, I would get Chevy 049 or 781 casting heads or Merlins. You can get Merlins for around $700-900 used, and they'll flow more than enough for what you need as long as your staying NA. You can get the 049 heads or the 781 heads for $450-550. Get a fairly mild, but upgraded cam (like the 500Hp cam, either carb or efi).

The only reason you should be getting aluminum heads on a budget is if you want to up the compression ratio. You would be better off spending the money on a roller cam from Bob M and getting a good set of Morel lifters, than you would be buying the AFRs and going cheap on the cam/lifter set. You can always add the heads later, and you won't be out much, if anything on your use GM/Merlin heads with resale value.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

What do you have to start with? What are your goals? What is your budget? Do not blow your budget on one item, build a balanced engine with matching components. If you were building a big blower motor with 1000HP, AFR's would be a great choice.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Registered

I am going to break down the motor soon while it is out of the boat i want to upgrade it, the 454 maybe a mercruiser motor, it already has a edlebroc 2 intake and a 750 carburater with a stainless steel exhaust... My goals are more midrange and top end power through a cam and heads. Is the carb i have sufficient enough? I know i will need to pitch the prop up. Im at pushing 4800 rpm's now. What pricing am im looking at for this package?
Old 12-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pantera232
I am going to break down the motor soon while it is out of the boat i want to upgrade it, the 454 maybe a mercruiser motor, it already has a edlebroc 2 intake and a 750 carburater with a stainless steel exhaust... My goals are more midrange and top end power through a cam and heads. Is the carb i have sufficient enough? I know i will need to pitch the prop up. Im at pushing 4800 rpm's now. What pricing am im looking at for this package?
You didn't really suggest a package to price out. Is the carb a Holley double pumper? If it is you may be alright, but you should probably upgrade to an 800cfm carb.

You need to figure out if the heads on the motor are indeed peanut port heads (small ovals) and if the E2 intake you currently have on it is for a peanut port head. If it is you're going to want to junk them both (the heads and intake).

If I were you I'd try to pick up an Hp500 cam or buy the same grind from Comp. ($280ish), get a set of new morel roller lifters ($350-400), a Holley 800cfm double pumper ($300-500), and get a set of large oval heads ($450-900). You're going to need to figure another $200 for oil and gaskets, + any paid labor. If you need a new intake figure another $300. All in all, you should be out about $2,500 for a stronger mid-range and upper end, 200-400 rpm (I wouldn't push it much past 5,000 though), and 7-8 mph on the top end. You should net about another 100hp, but make sure you upgrade your oil lines and oil cooler (another $200-300). And to properly take advantage of your new Hp you're going to need a new prop ($200-350).

You should be spinning up to 5000rpms with that set up and be turning a larger wheel.

Last edited by wjb21ndtown; 12-18-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was where you are now. I ended up adding a B&M 250 Blower with matched carb, crossover, and cam. Put 300 hour on a motor that already had 500 on it before lower bearings wore out. I since removed the Blower (it is for sale but I never got around to advertising it as a completer package) and went to a HP500. Insurance was one of my reasons for the removing my blower. If you shop around adding a supercharger may not be a bad option. Hard to get 600 HP for that kind of money.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Registered

I appreciate the help, i like the idea of bob putting together a cam for me, and if he can get me some heads that will be great , or if you guys recommend a certain place or direct from manufactor..

Im going to keep an eye out for used ones as welll...

What cc Merlins should i look for??

And you said begger circle ports you dont recommend rectangular????
Old 12-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Edlebrock makes a nice set of marine heads.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/...0002/-1?CT=999
Old 12-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Ron Sporl Performance
Offshoreonly Advertiser

For mid, and top end power, I would definatly recommend rectangular port heads. And example of this would be Mercury's 330's came with oval port heads, and all of Mercury's High Performace 454's came with rectangular port heads. To keep it on a budget i would use steel heads, especially if you live in Florida and boat in salt water! A customer is upgrading and we have a set of Merlins for sale. You can give me a call for more info!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:53 AM

i have some merlin heads/ intakes/ cams/ for sale in swap shop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.