B/W Velvet Drive trans leak from breather >

B/W Velvet Drive trans leak from breather

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1986 Chris Craft Stinger 312 454 w B/W velvet drive trans. I replaced the trans fluid and the breather on top of one and it still leaks out fluid, can someome give me any tips on what to do next.
Thank You!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check the level while hot? Is it possible you overfilled it?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might be overheating...
Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kind of a common problem. I was lucky enough to get a set up from Bam that they had laying around. Some one told me it was a casting flaw in the tranny? Some times they do it, some times they don't. If everything it testing ok with the tranny what you want to do is find a way to route the vent back into the fill. I will try and remember to get you a picture. What I have seen a lot of other guys do is route the vent to a bottle/resovoir. The only thing that I do not like about that is that if you run hard for a while it I would think could be possible to empty out the tranny still?
Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 AM
Registered

In the Mercruiser Service Manual #9 there is a page on transmissiom venting which describes this problem and a fix. It require changing the charge tube and screen which is in the fitting where the hose connects on the lower starboard side of the trans to a different design one. It also shows remarking your dipstick so full will be 1/2" to 5/8" lower than originally depending on model. Basically the old style made the fluid from the hose shoot straight in from the side and the new style makes the fluid shoot down at the bottom inside the trans.
If you would like give me an email address and I will be glad to scan this page and send it to you.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim so you are saying it is the dip stick that makes this happen?
Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
If you would like give me an email address and I will be glad to scan this page and send it to you.
Please and Thank you.
jay21one @ yahoo . com
Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Jim so you are saying it is the dip stick that makes this happen?
No. It uses a different tube in which the fluid returning from the cooler enters the trans through. This tube is located in the fitting that the hose screws on to. It also says to mark your dipstick to lower the full fluid level by 1/2" or 5/8" depending on model. I have never had this problem so I have never done this. Just passing on info I came across in the Mercruiser Service Manual #9. It appears this newer style is from a 72c as the part number is 72c-98 so if you have a 72c then chances are it already has the newer style tube. It also requires a spring and washer to be used with it. Mercury does not carry B-W parts so they must be purchased elsewhere.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
In the Mercruiser Service Manual #9 there is a page on transmissiom venting which describes this problem and a fix. It require changing the charge tube and screen which is in the fitting where the hose connects on the lower starboard side of the trans to a different design one. It also shows remarking your dipstick so full will be 1/2" to 5/8" lower than originally depending on model. Basically the old style made the fluid from the hose shoot straight in from the side and the new style makes the fluid shoot down at the bottom inside the trans.
I was hoping that this could be fixed without pulling the engine & trans out of the boat,Thank you very much email to [email protected]