Adapter to run engines on hose >

Adapter to run engines on hose

Notices

Adapter to run engines on hose

Old 05-16-2002, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adapter to run engines on hose

What does everybody use to get a hose on the transom offshore style water pick-ups so they can run engines with the boat on the trailer?....They are a rectangular shaped pick-up 1-1/4" x 3" does anyone sell these or is it something I have to make?....Fred
Old 05-16-2002, 07:49 PM
Registered

hi fred,
i have a garden hose connction piped to the strainers with a ball valve in front of each strainer. when you flush you just block in your raw water inlet valve at your transom ( i hope you have one) and open the ball valve from the hose. i can send you a picture if you want.
take care, Fran
Old 05-16-2002, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just take the lid off my strainer and have my wife turn the hose on full blast when I tell her to. It works great!!! Still not as good as going to the lake, but for setting timing and checking for leaks or adjusting carb settings it works fine.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:29 AM
Registered

Fran, I got a ball valve and about 3' of hose thinking I could stuff it up the pick-up on the transom, when I looked at the pick-up and saw that it has a screen type end cover on it that blew that idea....so I was wondering what the trick was to running it on a hose, if you have a picture of your set up sure I would take a look at it, e-mail a pic to; [email protected] I didn't think about taking the lid off from the sea-strainers and putting the hose down it, Thanks wette-vette....to get it started to make sure the engines ran I just pulled off the sea-pump fan belts and ran it for a very short period of time (maybe 1 min. max) with the winterizing anti-freeze still in the blocks, Fred
Old 05-17-2002, 07:45 AM
Registered

My boat is plumbed similar to Excaleagle42 I think. There is a valve at the strainer inlet you can close (also ones at the transom so the boat won't sink in case a pickup to strainer hose should eer fail, but those aren't easy to reach for normal use), and a "T" and valve on the outlet side connected to the hose running up to the flush fittings on the top of the transom. TO flush you hook up the hose on the transom top, open the valve at the strainer outlet, and close down the one on the inlet "partially".

I say "partially" as if you close it all the way you are putting (in my case) 100 PSI of water pressure on the inlet side of the raw water pumps, and they don't like than (I know, I failed one already doing that). If you leave the valve leading to the pickups partway open it can bleed water to keep the pressure down, but will stop once the motor is running and can take all the water flow the hose can provide.

-Greg
Old 05-17-2002, 09:02 AM
Registered

Greg, when you say the flush on the transom top are you saying there is a hose hook-up type fitting on the top of the fresh water pick-ups that supply water to the sea-strainers that a hose can be hooked to?....Fred
Old 05-17-2002, 09:29 AM
Registered

No, sorry for the confusion. Perko (I think it is) makes a transom mount hose adapter that takes a garden hose on the outside and has a hose barb on the inside. The inside hose runs to a seperate valve/location "somewhere" in the water pick-up path inside the boat. In my case it all comes together at the sea strainers.

They are not connected to the water pickups at the bottom of the transom. I believe they are still listed in the West Marine catalog.

-Greg
Old 05-17-2002, 09:41 AM
Registered

Thanks Greg....that makes it more clear....I have a West Marine catalog right here I will check out....I think I may end up making a fixture to fit over and clamp on someway to the transom water pick-ups if no one makes a device to do so....Fred
Old 05-17-2002, 09:51 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

This is what i did, I bought some quick disconnects from www.colder.com I mounted them in my Gil sea strainers. These are the typ that seal when disconnected. I also found a rubber boot (Chair rubber foot) that seals them off from debris.
Attached Thumbnails Adapter to run engines on hose-hose-hook-up.jpg  
Old 05-17-2002, 09:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here is the hose side
Attached Thumbnails Adapter to run engines on hose-hose-hook-up2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Adapter to run engines on hose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.