Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   ok I want to build a gm big block (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/246162-ok-i-want-build-gm-big-block.html)

toolsinbox 01-22-2011 12:02 AM

ok I want to build a gm big block

I know it may cost me more in the long run to do it lunch box style but thats the way it is going to be. I have a 21 foot scarab excel with a freshy rebuilt carbed 454 base 330 hp. MSD blue ign. and dist. Through hull with corsa Q&Q water mixing in exaust at imco riser; Kodiak exaust manifolds. Will only see fresh water. I want more power but not with a blower. I dont want to have dry exaust. I want to lightn it up with at least aluminuim heads. I intend on using my current setup while building a new one.

Thats the plan so far!

I have read on tons of threads but need to just ask my questions strait out. I think that the best way for my success. I pretty well had to do all that reading just to figure out what questions to ask.

I want to first aquire a block to work with. In all my reading the generation of the block seems to be talked about the most. What generation 454 should I stay away from? What is the best one to use? I am looking at what is local to me. Lotsa guys have them around here cheap, but I do not want be limiting myself by chosing the wrong one.

Thanks.

formula455 01-22-2011 01:00 AM

big block

Originally Posted by toolsinbox (Post 3304083)
I know it may cost me more in the long run to do it lunch box style but thats the way it is going to be. I have a 21 foot scarab excel with a freshy rebuilt carbed 454 base 330 hp. MSD blue ign. and dist. Through hull with corsa Q&Q water mixing in exaust at imco riser; Kodiak exaust manifolds. Will only see fresh water. I want more power but not with a blower. I dont want to have dry exaust. I want to lightn it up with at least aluminuim heads. I intend on using my current setup while building a new one.

Thats the plan so far!

I have read on tons of threads but need to just ask my questions strait out. I think that the best way for my success. I pretty well had to do all that reading just to figure out what questions to ask.

I want to first aquire a block to work with. In all my reading the generation of the block seems to be talked about the most. What generation 454 should I stay away from? What is the best one to use? I am looking at what is local to me. Lotsa guys have them around here cheap, but I do not want be limiting myself by chosing the wrong one.

Thanks.

Look for one stamped HI PERF from 70 to 74 they were made with high nickle content. or the crate motors LS6 and LS7 blocks I built one for my 67 chevelle in 1990 I used is a driver and raced it put over 150 passes on it with N2O I used to shift it @ 7200rpm.my buddy now has it in his NOVA race car still running the same block and heads.

toolsinbox 01-23-2011 04:36 PM

what about a block casting 3999289 1972 I think?

Underdog88 01-23-2011 04:54 PM

That's a 73-79 doesn't specify 4 or 2 bolt
https://home.comcast.net/~caseyd55/BBCastingnumbers.htm
mortec.com seems to be down. Better info there

fastscarab22 01-23-2011 06:17 PM

Why dont you find a hp 500 ( 502 ) . It has a good bottom end and just put some good heads on it and then your moving . I have a scarab 22 with hp 465 that i put a dart intake on it, a crane 731 cam and some merlin heads on it and good exhaust and i am turning a labbed 30 four blade and doing 82.5 on gps .

gmhdfan 01-23-2011 06:37 PM

what part of the country do you live in? Have lots of mark IV blocks/stuff and complete 425 hp motors that are sitting around my shop. Just really don't want to have to crate and ship. Would rather have someone pick them up. I am a couple of miles off the Fl turnpike.

ezstriper 01-24-2011 05:59 AM

I have a cherry gen IV std bore 4 bolt main block, in va

toolsinbox 01-25-2011 01:53 PM

shipping is too huge to here in Canada. I am keeping my eyes open for a 502 block that would be ideal for me. Anything around here is set up for cars thats why I am looking for just a block first. I find people are so full of BS when advertising on line like on craig list and other for sale sites so you cant depend on the internals. I went to look at one on the weekend as advertised as a 454 was in fact a 427 rare corvette block. with the fuel injection and all. I told the guy he was nuts to sell for $500.00. I am still wondering how he made out.

I am serious about building a bullet proof engine that will be exactly what I want.

Question: when, if at all, does the added weight of H billet rods, make it a waste. How much power do you have to be making to use them? Or does it matter? Use them if you can afford them? I intend on getting the crank and rods together from the same place.

Benchchemist 01-25-2011 06:47 PM

Definately run a 4 bolt main, H beam rods and a super top end valve train.The weakest link in BBC's is the valve train, i would recommend Comp or Lunati. Stay away from Crane.