More transom soot out of starboard side exhaust >

More transom soot out of starboard side exhaust

Notices

More transom soot out of starboard side exhaust

Old 05-17-2002, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry More transom soot out of starboard side exhaust

I have a 454 mag efi with a VST tank. The starboard side of my engine seems to produce more exhaust soot than the port side. Could the VST tank be my problem? I looked at all the spark plugs and they seem fine. Not wet and tan. One plug on the starboard side has a little carbon on it. The engine runs great. I hit 5200 rpms, but I just don't like the fact that the starboard side is producing more soot on the transom. The inside of the starboard exhaust tip is darker than the other tip. I'm wondering if my VST tank could be my problem or if something else could be my problem? Last summer I unhooked the overflow tube from the VST tank and ran the boat on the trailer. No fuel came out of the VST tank overflow. Maybe injectors or something? What is a leak off test and how is that performed. The boat is a 95 baja 24 outlaw. I rebuilt the motor last year. New rod and main bearings, honed block, rings, heads done - new valves, guides, seals, guides, locks and milled, roller camshaft, lifters, pushrods, roller rockers, stainless marine exhaust, reprogram ecu, fuel pressure regulator and flame arrestor.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:48 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that you are referring to a injector drop test. This test can help determine if you have clogged injectors. It wont help find an open injector. Also you need a drop tester. What you do is hook up a fuel guage to the rail. Then you hook up this drop tester to the injector (not easy to do, no room) . You charge the fuel rail with fuel. Take note of the pressure reading, then hit the button on the drop tester, what it does is pulse the injector a set number of times. You then read the guage and take note of how much the guage dropped in pressure. By pulsing all the injectors the same # of times, theoretically the pressure should drop the same amount with all of them. You have to do it to all the injectors. If you have 1 or 2 injectors that drop less than the others, you can then suspect trouble with those injectors.