spark plug Q >

spark plug Q

Notices

spark plug Q

Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug Q

I'm running a 509 with 10:1 compression, and Merlin aluminum heads.

I have trouble finding anything better then 91 octane, so I retard the timing a bit, and keep an eye on the plugs. So far everything seems good.

My Q is,
I am about to replace the bosch platinum plugs, and having a hard time finding them locally. So I started reading, and it seems the bosch platinum plugs, and not real well liked, even though I have had good luck with them so far in this motor, and my Mustang seems to really like them as well.

my plug has the # FR8DPX stamped on it. From what I read these don't do well with detonation. Should I use something else?

thnx
-Shane
Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would a plug in the same heat range as an AC R42T. That is one step cooler than stock R43T's and not quite as cool as the R41T's that went in the Merc blower engines.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm running an NGK Iridium UR6IX and I'm planning on going to their racing plug with the cut back electrode to reduce the risk of detonation. I would recommend a -6 heat range in NGK. I have an MSD 6M ignition with the MSD Blaster HVC-2 coil, so no worries about fouling.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to run the Bosch plugs, most of the guys on the forums do not like them. I have been using the AC Rapid Fire #1's and had good luck with them.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had great success with accel u-groove plugs..can find them in varous heat ranges...ac's work well but can only find std heat ranges around here..
Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I'm running an NGK Iridium UR6IX and I'm planning on going to their racing plug with the cut back electrode to reduce the risk of detonation. I would recommend a -6 heat range in NGK. I have an MSD 6M ignition with the MSD Blaster HVC-2 coil, so no worries about fouling.
An NGK 6 heat rating is the same as an AC 43. He would be better off going to a 7 which is a little cooler.

Stock Plugs on Merc NA engines are AC MR43T or NGK BR6FS.
The M on the AC is for marine and is really not needed.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
An NGK 6 heat rating is the same as an AC 43. He would be better off going to a 7 which is a little cooler.

Stock Plugs on Merc NA engines are AC MR43T or NGK BR6FS.
The M on the AC is for marine and is really not needed.
You're absolutely correct, I meant to type a -8 which is what I'll be running. That's what I get trying to eat lunch and read forums at the same time.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Registered

I've always ran r43t in everything else, and since I'm a "if its not broke, don't fix it" kinda person, I think I'll just go back to the AC delco's but run a 42.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered

I tried Bosch platinums in my 03 Cobra. Ended up detonating and blowing the plug out of the number 1 cylinder. Had it timeserted and ran cooler NGK plugs after that.. Liked NGK a lot better and worked a lot better. I know this was on a car, but still not a fan of Bosch platinum..
Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Registered

Well I should have done some checking before I bought the r42t's. they are different then the bosch platinum plugs that are in it now. I was worried about hurting something, so I didn't install them. The bosch plugs seemed like they were longer?

Head work was done by Jim V, and I have the paperwork at home.

Can anyone tell me what plugs i should use?
Heads are Aluminum Merlin. # WOR 014C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.