Need to know correct head gasket to run Mk IV head on Gen VI 454, please >

Need to know correct head gasket to run Mk IV head on Gen VI 454, please

Notices

Need to know correct head gasket to run Mk IV head on Gen VI 454, please

Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffswav
I have Mark IV heads on a Gen V block, I use the gaskets for Gen V . The marine gaskets use stainless steel, not sure if it is nessesary but I use them.
According to numerous sources, you are risking having the engine overheat, or hot spots in the block and head. There is also the risk of coolant leaks or a blown head gasket.

There is a HP Books "Rebuilding the Gen V/VI Big Block Chevy Engines" that is a good source of info on this topic. This book has been out of print for a long time (written around 2002 or so) but copies show up on eBay now and then for a princely sum of $75 to $125. However, this book just came out in Kindle format for about $7 - if you have a Kindle, or a iPhone with the Kindle App (free) I would suggest its money well spent. They have also reissued the softback version for about $20.

Check Amazon for the book- search for ISBN-13: 978-1557885500