Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Want to put my boat in a slip..... How to keep green buildup off it? >

Want to put my boat in a slip..... How to keep green buildup off it?

Notices

Want to put my boat in a slip..... How to keep green buildup off it?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had always wondered about putting one of those bubblers under the boat. I know in the spring when the water is moving past my dock I get zero growth. When it is stagnent is when you get the big buildup. I know heat plays a roll as well but I think if you can keep the water moving it may work
Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check this

i met a guy who pulled a blue tarp up to bottom of his boat while in the water an threw pool chlorine tablets in there an it kept it off....kill the little fishies as welll but kept it clean....i though he was bs.n me till i went out to his slip 1 afternoon
Old 03-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Registered

Not withstanding the alge and blistering...There's one more thing we have to be concerned about when leaving our boat in the water now...ZEBRA CLAMS!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by point92mach
Thanks for all the advice, fellas. Man those big boat lifts are big $$$

That $$$ just isnt in the budget this year.

I guess i'll be trailering this season after all, and save the slip rental fee for a boat lift next season.

I trailered my 312 stinger around no problem, but the 415 is a totally different animal....lol.....

I'm in simular situation, Boating on Mississippi near st Louis most marinas had lifts that you just rented at a fair price. recently moved 250 miles north on river and lifts are not to be found here. I only have a 1 1/2 miles to tow but i really miss my lift!

On another note i am really questioning that tow vehicle for that monster. I bet towing is a hand full.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at Airdock.com .
Old 03-26-2011, 07:31 AM
Registered

We struggled with the same question. Buy a trailer, buy a lift or bottom paint. We decided on bottom paint and we like our decision because it just makes life easier. We just drive to dock and jump on boat. I haven't really noticed any performance decrease. Very slight if any
Old 03-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dodgeman111
We struggled with the same question. Buy a trailer, buy a lift or bottom paint. We decided on bottom paint and we like our decision because it just makes life easier. We just drive to dock and jump on boat. I haven't really noticed any performance decrease. Very slight if any
For medium to large cruisers left in the slip, bottom paint is considered mandatory, and does not detract from the value- in fact you would subtract value if it did not have bottom paint. Before you put on bottom paint, you usually apply a barrier coat to prevent blisters, something like Interlux Interprotect 2000. The rule of thumb is that bottom paint subtracts 1 mph from top speed on smaller boats with a clean bottom, but on larger boats it has almost no effect. I guess I would draw a distinction at about 24-25 feet. If you compared a raw bottom boat left in the slip after 1-2 weeks with the same boat with good bottom paint, the painted boat would be faster. its amazing the amount of green "beard" that can build up on a boat left in the water, and if you have barnacles they can really hurt performance.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Registered

Well bottom paint is sounding pretty good right now. What would one do to prevent the same buildup on the drives?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Well bottom paint is sounding pretty good right now. What would one do to prevent the same buildup on the drives?

Thanks,

Greg
bottom paint
Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Thanks,

Greg
If you are going to bottom paint it plan to be buried in it.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.