Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Want to put my boat in a slip..... How to keep green buildup off it? >

Want to put my boat in a slip..... How to keep green buildup off it?

Notices

Want to put my boat in a slip..... How to keep green buildup off it?

Old 03-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

That is a good looking boat, please do not put bottom paint on it. Get a good lift and keep it looking good. My boat only is dry stored year round and never sees daylight unless I im using it. My boat is very happy
Old 03-31-2011, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Several things:

1 - I don't think everyone's responses are "uninformed poop" - in fact quite the opposite, there are probably tons of us on here that have boats with painted bottoms AND Go-Fast's which we are smart enough NOT to paint. Most on here have spent some time under a boat with a roller - none have enjoyed it!!

His question was related to his Go-Fast boat so the answers are directed to that boat.

2 - A Nortech 50' with Trips and XR's weighs around 15.5k dry, so his boat with twins and 10' shorter is not going to weigh 20k unless he fills the bilge with Concrete and the cabin with Fat Friends.

http://www.nor-techboats.com/boats.php?id=1&type=vbo

3 - I am not sure what lifts you are using but they must be gold plated. I got quoted just over 6k for the Low-Profile 16k lift from these guys. http://eastcoastboatlifts.com/low-pr...boat-lifts.htm My neighbor had one for about 10 years that worked wonderfully. He now has a 30k lift with a 44 Sea Ray on it that I KNOW he doesn't have $12-15k in.

Point92 - I think that you will regret painting the bottom of that boat. Like cigboat said, lots of "cons", virtually NO "pros"
I think my post was obviously tongue in cheek Obviously the costs of a lift will vary on the quality, the size/capacity, and how much supporting stuff is already in place. Having recieved 3 quotes on a 20k lb lift, I stand by my statement of $12-15k, although I should have qualified that by saying "installed". My main complaint is the statement "virtually NO pros". The two main pros are; no performance robbing growth on the bottom of your boat, and no need to clean that growth off when the boat is hauled out.

I bet if you go back and ask your buddy with the 30k lift how much it actually cost, it might be more than you think. That 44 Searay example boat would take about 3 gallons of paint, at most about $660, which would last 2 years. Thats $330 a year- whatever cost model you use, the lift would not become cost-effective for at least 20 years. If bottom paint was not cost effective, nobody would buy it, and nobody would make it.

But I share your opinion that go-fast boats should not be bottom painted unless absolutely required: my Velocity is not bottom painted (and is trailered) while my Searay Sundancer is bottom painted and kept in a slip for 7 months of the year.