MSD Ignition >

MSD Ignition

Notices

MSD Ignition

Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Ignition

I need thoughts and opinions on the msd 6al and the 6al-2. Anyone run one or the other or lean more towards one over the other?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by antknee
I need thoughts and opinions on the msd 6al and the 6al-2. Anyone run one or the other or lean more towards one over the other?
If you want something to last then buy this one way better than msd and ony one wire to hook up.http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm
Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second that...I run a H/P HEI, far more reliable than MSD(may soon die)
Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Registered

I use the T model. Its fully sealed and vibration mounted. You can hose it down still works. I have had it since 2003 and no issues. I wash motor everytime we bring the boat back to the lift and like I said no issues. Is output is the same as the ALN.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antknee
Well for starters you wouldn't want the 6al or 6al-2 beings they are not marine ignitions. You would want the 6m-2 or the 6m-2L which has the rev limiter built in. The circuitry in both is fully potted in polyurethane so they are water and vibration proof. I've had a 6m-2 in my boat for 10 years now with out a single problem. At first I did run a 6al trying to get by cheap. It only lasted a couple months. I opened the box up and a component had broken off the circuit board apparently from vibration.

Last edited by picklenjim; 03-23-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Well for starters you wouldn't want the 6al or 6al-2 beings they are not marine ignitions. You would want the 6m-2 or the 6m-2L which has the rev limiter built in. The circuitry in both is fully potted in polyurethane so they are water and vibration proof. I've had a 6m-2 in my boat for 10 years now with out a single problem. At first I did run a 6al trying to get by cheap. It only lasted a couple months. I opened the box up and a component had broken off the circuit board apparently from vibration.
i agree
Old 03-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried 2 new 6M-2L boxes back in 2008..........both failed. One actually burned and melted. Went back to the older proven 6M-2 and all is well.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I agree with the reliability question. Seen a lot of them fail on short notice over the years.

You have to wonder about reliability when you see race car guys have a complete second MSD system in the car, all wired up and ready to go that they can switch over too, for when the first system fails.

To me, that says everything right there.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie17
I agree with the reliability question. Seen a lot of them fail on short notice over the years.

You have to wonder about reliability when you see race car guys have a complete second MSD system in the car, all wired up and ready to go that they can switch over too, for when the first system fails.

To me, that says everything right there.
If you think all these race teams out there are wiring up two of them because they are junk then why are they even using them in the first place when there are other ignitions out there?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If they were junk, i cant see why the majority of high dollar proffesional marine engine builders are using the msd marine stuff on 1000HP blower motors.

There are some important things about using a msd. You need use their "marine" boxes. They are potted in epoxy. Also, vibration kills them. I would not consider hard mounting them to the engine. You want to use rubber isolators. They have a computer board in them. How long would your laptop last if you put it in a paint can shaker?

Another issue. Lots of guys like running their stereo's all day at the beach. They dont like working off of low voltage. Trying to get them firing when you have 10 or 11 volts to them is no good. MSD works very well in my opinion in blower motors. I used to idle for very long periods of time when i kept my boat on the river. Fat carbs, low water temps, and blowers, never once did i foul plugs.

Properly mounted, properly wired, they will last. Not saying they are the best, but I do recall HEI module's being kept in glove boxes back in the day because they burnt up so much. How come those race car guys with the backup msd setups dont just drop in a one wire HEI? Does a HEI offer boost retard, timing adjustments on the fly, programmable launch control, or change the limiter with a simple plug in chip?

I just sent my msd billet distributors back to msd for rebuilds. They were 11 years old. They came back with EVERYTHING new, gear, bearing, shimmed, reluctor wheel, pickup, weights, springs, flame arrestors, and cap and rotor. And they repolished the shafts. Not bad for about 100 bucks each. I couldnt have bought the parts myself for that kind of money.

With that being said, i would not hesitate to use a DUI ignition product. But to say msd is junk and theirs is better, is like a ford vs. chevy debate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.