Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Eickert Tail Extention (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/250066-eickert-tail-extention.html)

endeavour32 03-25-2011 12:38 PM

Eickert Tail Extention

I need to have my current Eickert bravo tails extended so they are dry to the tip. Does anyone have any suggestions on someone that can do this on the west coast of Michigan? I could mail them to someone but I would rather take the boat to the welder so it fits right the first time.

blue thunder 03-25-2011 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by endeavour32 (Post 3359513)
I need to have my current Eickert bravo tails extended so they are dry to the tip. Does anyone have any suggestions on someone that can do this on the west coast of Michigan? I could mail them to someone but I would rather take the boat to the welder so it fits right the first time.

I made aluminum inserts for my KE tails that do what you want without any welding. They slide into the tip and seat into the inner tube of the tailpipes. They lock to the end of the tip with 1/4-20 screws and are flush with the end of the tips. Works great.

endeavour32 03-25-2011 04:32 PM

That sounds interesting.... I might try that!

SS930 04-07-2011 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by blue thunder (Post 3359671)
I made aluminum inserts for my KE tails that do what you want without any welding. They slide into the tip and seat into the inner tube of the tailpipes. They lock to the end of the tip with 1/4-20 screws and are flush with the end of the tips. Works great.

Do you have any pictures of these inserts? Sounds interesting.

blue thunder 04-07-2011 07:14 AM

You're in luck. I have them out now and just about ready to reinstall them. I'll take pics tonight although I am not sure if I can post pics so you may need to give me an email addy.

endeavour32 04-07-2011 08:02 AM

I can post them on the site. [email protected]

blue thunder 04-07-2011 05:32 PM

Pictures send E32. They are made out of aluminum. The one end is turned down to size to lightely fit into the inner pipe on the KE tails. I put silicone on this turned down section so water doesn't leak at the seam. You can't see it well unless you zoom way in but the pic showing the insert installed shows the bolts at the end of the tip that hold it in place.

BT

endeavour32 04-07-2011 08:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are the Pictures.
Thanks Blue Thunder

tnc110 04-01-2012 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by blue thunder (Post 3359671)

How did you attach the bolts to the aluminum tubing? Drill and tap the tubing, with a double nut on the inside?
Nice work btw!

I want to do this too, only problem I have is that my tails are offset to the side a bit from the transom tips. I am afraid the rubber water jacket will touch the inner pipe and melt at the bend...

blue thunder 04-01-2012 11:22 AM

Yes, the tubing has threads in it. If your tips are offset from your tails I'm not sure you could ever get the inserts to slide into the tailpipe inner tube. It needs to be a pretty straight shot.