Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

at lease take the valve cover off for a closer look,,,
Old 03-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
YUP,

Sorry to say it, but I would pe pulling the motors
Geez dude, you never heard of KISS. If you get a flat tire, do you buy a new vehicle too?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
did you drop the funnel in the rocks,then they stuck to the oul at the end of the funnel?
No, this is my first oil change. Its a "new to me" boat.. The additional rocks that may have gotten thru was my worry also, but I doubht I'll be pulling the motor! The opening in the neck is pretty small, and luckly the main rock was wedged in there, stopping the other three smaller ones from passing. Even though, I still dont think the other ones I pulled out would have been able to pass thru the opening anyway.

If it was someone intentionally putting rocks in there, it would have been before I took ownership of the boat. Not sure if its the same with marine engines, but I know with car engines there is a screen over the sump pump. And I figured if there are more rocks in there, they would sway with the oil. The boat ran great the 2 times I took it out, and oil pressure was good the entire time.

Hell if it blows, thats just an excuse for me to get the 525 I want
Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DirtyJerz
No, this is my first oil change. Its a "new to me" boat.. The additional rocks that may have gotten thru was my worry also, but I doubht I'll be pulling the motor! The opening in the neck is pretty small, and luckly the main rock was wedged in there, stopping the other three smaller ones from passing. Even though, I still dont think the other ones I pulled out would have been able to pass thru the opening anyway.

If it was someone intentionally putting rocks in there, it would have been before I took ownership of the boat. Not sure if its the same with marine engines, but I know with car engines there is a screen over the sump pump. And I figured if there are more rocks in there, they would sway with the oil. The boat ran great the 2 times I took it out, and oil pressure was good the entire time.

Hell if it blows, thats just an excuse for me to get the 525 I want

Any chance that you bought this boat as a repo, and the previous owner sabotaged it ?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dogturd21
Any chance that you bought this boat as a repo, and the previous owner sabotaged it ?
U know, thats the first thought that came to my mind! To my knowledge, it was not a repo, but I am not 100% sure (got it from a dealership who actually do sell some repos). And the fact that the boat was in Immaculate condition, I wouldnt think so, but obviously u never know!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
at lease take the valve cover off for a closer look,,,

YES before you even start it.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:20 AM
Banned

Are you sure they are "rocks"? Could they be little pieces of metal, carbon, etc that actually were in the engine and blown up in the filler neck. I have seen old worn out engines steaming and venting out the oil fill neck. Have you cleaned one off to make sure it is a rock?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:11 AM
Registered

I once bought a Yamaha 250 Enduro (hey, I am old) from a guy whose brother but valve grinding coumpound in the oil tank.

Thankfully I caught it when I was doing the "once over" before really riding it.

Ken
Old 03-31-2011, 06:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
Geez dude, you never heard of KISS. If you get a flat tire, do you buy a new vehicle too?
Motors arent cheap, I would rather pull them now and check, than rebuild them later. OK, so MAYBE pulling the valve covers will tell ya, maybe it wont Another reason I run outboards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.