Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Small rocks in oil filler tube??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/250388-small-rocks-oil-filler-tube.html)

DirtyJerz 03-29-2011 11:20 PM

Small rocks in oil filler tube???

Hello all! I was changing my oil today (496 HO) and noticed that about 6 quarts spilled into the bilge. After closer inspection, when I poured the oil in the funnel down the filler tube, the tube seemed to get clogged, overflow and would only allow a certain amount of oil in at a time. Obviously I ddint realize this until I had poured 8 quarts in :angry-smiley-038: When I looked in the tube, it looked like small peables were clogging it up and not allowing me to pour the oil in very slowly.

So my question, how can I take the oil filler tube off to try to get the rocks out (if they are even rocks, it was dark outside and had to use a flashlight to see) ? I see a bolt attached to the filler hose, but not sure if it is that easy, so I figured I would ask u guys on here!

Thanks in advance!

FIXX 03-29-2011 11:33 PM

Fixx

Originally Posted by DirtyJerz (Post 3363374)
Hello all! I was changing my oil today (496 HO) and noticed that about 6 quarts spilled into the bilge. After closer inspection, when I poured the oil in the funnel down the filler tube, the tube seemed to get clogged, overflow and would only allow a certain amount of oil in at a time. Obviously I ddint realize this until I had poured 8 quarts in :angry-smiley-038: When I looked in the tube, it looked like small peables were clogging it up and not allowing me to pour the oil in very slowly.

So my question, how can I take the oil filler tube off to try to get the rocks out (if they are even rocks, it was dark outside and had to use a flashlight to see) ? I see a bolt attached to the filler hose, but not sure if it is that easy, so I figured I would ask u guys on here!

Thanks in advance!

if its a extended tube in the valve cover then it will unscrew like the cap does.

DirtyJerz 03-29-2011 11:56 PM

Oh perfect! I'll have to get in there tomorrow and check it out.

Jobs that are supposed to take all day, I usually do in a few hours............but quick 20 minute things seem to take a few days lol!

c_deezy 03-30-2011 02:02 AM

Rocks in oil filler tube???? Do you have kids that like to put things in wierd places?

DirtyJerz 03-30-2011 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by c_deezy (Post 3363394)
Rocks in oil filler tube???? Do you have kids that like to put things in wierd places?

Lol! No I dont have any kids, and this is a "new to me" boat. Doing the first oil change and noticed the issue (after alot of wasted oil :( ) . Although it was a pain in the Ass getting those 4 little rocks out this morning for 2 hours, the most frustrating issue I was having was trying to think how those rocks got in there!!!! There is no concievable way in my mind there would be rocks around when the previous owner had the oil cap off :lolhit:

FIXX 03-30-2011 12:33 PM

Fixx

Originally Posted by DirtyJerz (Post 3363814)
Lol! No I dont have any kids, and this is a "new to me" boat. Doing the first oil change and noticed the issue (after alot of wasted oil :( ) . Although it was a pain in the Ass getting those 4 little rocks out this morning for 2 hours, the most frustrating issue I was having was trying to think how those rocks got in there!!!! There is no concievable way in my mind there would be rocks around when the previous owner had the oil cap off :lolhit:

did you drop the funnel in the rocks,then they stuck to the oul at the end of the funnel?

Mykalvballer 03-30-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by mrfixxall (Post 3363835)
did you drop the funnel in the rocks,then they stuck to the oul at the end of the funnel?

Thats why I would say happen.

mr3dman 03-30-2011 12:49 PM

my bigger worry would be if smaller rocks/ sand made it past the filler neck

cigboat1 03-30-2011 03:17 PM

Looks like someone does not like you very much!!Sounds like sabotage to me. Better check closer -- little rocks turn into little sand , and little sand get into small places !

Jim

rchevelle71 03-30-2011 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by cigboat1 (Post 3364007)
Looks like someone does not like you very much!!Sounds like sabotage to me. Better check closer -- little rocks turn into little sand , and little sand get into small places !

Jim

YUP,

Sorry to say it, but I would pe pulling the motors:eek: