Raw Water Pumps >

Raw Water Pumps

Notices

Raw Water Pumps

Old 03-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raw Water Pumps

I was wondering if you can split the output on the Jabsco bronze water pumps. Or put a short hose going to a y-pipe to have two supply line of raw water? I want to add a closed water cooling tank and it seems as you would want a separate supply for that. Or you will be cooling your oil, PS and transmission before the closed water cooler.
I know KE makes pumps that already do this but it’s not in the budget.
Thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ken:

You have to make sure if you split the water you size the orifices to make the right gpm go the right direction. Splitting it up is the best way to cool because you want to maintain the best water to oil cooling differential. But if you don't have the fluid flow to maintain your fluid speed (measured in ft/sec), you'll substantially decrease the efficiency of the coolers you already have and the one you're adding.

All of this is dependent upon the cooler size. as an example, you need about 18gpm minimum for the water side of a 3" cooler.

But note that mercruiser feeds in serial the engine/trans/ps coolers with water and then it heads off to the heat exchanger. So that's not out of the question.

Whatever happened to those chrome plated coolers? :-)

Last edited by Mr. Cool; 03-29-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:17 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With closed cooling the norm is from the pump to the oil coolers then to the heat exchanger, no need for any split setup.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

agreed, it's not necessary, but it would cool better. Without calcs, hard to tell if it would be noticeable.