Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Ateco 500efi upgrade (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/250979-ateco-500efi-upgrade.html)

Baja_man 06-06-2011 08:49 PM

Dave, I found this 302 for sale with some 500 EFI upgrades. Looks like he has heads, cam, intake work I would suspect and dyno'd at 580 HP. The ad says $75,000 but two other places have it for quite a bit less than that. It has to be close to what you want done.

http://www.imageandmessaging.com/baja/

REDS32 06-07-2011 10:09 AM

With all of the engine builders on this thread I have a question. I have two 1996 525sc with isky cams and msd. Sometimes when I throttle the motors hard one back fires not allot not all the time. Is it carb or timing both or something different . I've ran these motors 200hrs with no problems.

Ateco 06-07-2011 02:10 PM

Sounds Like Its Lean, Check Your Accelerator Pump.
Could Be Old And Not Getting A Full Pump Shot.
Bill

REDS32 06-07-2011 02:47 PM

Thanks Bill . One more question after the motors were built I took off the k&n filters put on high hat flame arrestors and took off eddy marine and put cmi. Do you think that they could need to be retuned?

45SS 06-10-2011 06:26 PM

Eddie Young's post on 4-18 turned out to be absolutely correct. At the time it was written he was in the process of building my engines. They are 500 EFI's . Our intentions were to just wake them up a little. Eddie woke them up alright. I do not want to give away his package. He bumped the compression slightly, he used his custom ground cams. He replaced my factory cylinder heads because mine were rusted junk. The replacment heads were not ported in any way and they are intented to be direct replacements. He did use the mono blade, and matched it to the manifold. They dynoed at 599 peak corrected horsepower with the AVG. being 534 from 3500 to 5500. The torque was the suprise to me, 652 corrected FT. LBS. with the AVG. being 625 from 3500 to 5500. The engine cracks the 600 FT LBS. mark at 3200 with 604. He was also right about tuning. My engine looked like it was hook to life support. The needed adjustments were many.

Irishtornado 06-11-2011 09:25 AM

My question as I've spoken to Eddie about upgrading as well. What was your HP@5500

45SS 06-11-2011 03:29 PM

Peak HP was @ 5200 599, the HP @ 5500 597. Peak Torque was @ 3900 652, the torque was 570 @ 5500.

Thunderstruck 06-11-2011 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Raylar (Post 3379933)
As my hopeful helpful additional post on this subject I am going to make a request (plea) here.

Please all engine owners, builders, etc., lets make sure when you talk about, run and post dyno outcomes here on OSO that you make sure the tests are done at a minimum with the engine in the exact trim and state it will go into the boat with!
I realize that just a few of us can run the tests with wet exhaust systems like Bobl and some others.

When dyno tests are run and posted where the engine is in a stripped down accessory state, dry long tube dyno headers versus stock manifolds or shorty headers or aftermarket exhaust manifolds the engine will have in the boat the readers perception and indeed the actual engine owners realization of what he will end up with in the boat under real world conditions is usually very distorted and really MISLEADING!
Remember what most engine manufacturers like Mercury and Mercury Racing provide is engine power and torque numbers based on this acurrate type of actual engine configuration and use testing.
A level playing field in testing and reporting will provide the best to all readers and performance boaters who need accurate numbers to make their financial upgrade decisions on!
I know a call for honesty and transparency in these dyno test numbers in the marine performance industry is a stretch! ,but its about time we all got on the SAME PAGE!

For the benefit of OSO'ers who need accurate information on which to base spending time and money, would those who want to sit on OSO and *****hit, brag, boast, entertain, distort, bench race and mislead for new business with some reporting, please exit OSO and go to another Offshore or boat forum where honesty and transparency are a four letter words and not ethically supported!!!

Not in any way inferring anybody on this post has done this, just want to get everyone thinking about the ways to get accuracy and report same before sharing the results and outcomes with other OSO readers.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

I would encourage our OSO advertisers to set the example and post some data.

45SS 06-15-2011 09:05 PM

Took my Eddie Young 500EFI up grade kit out for it's first water test tonight. WOW, The boat flies. No problems with anything. Now it's time to go prop shopping.

offshoredrillin 06-16-2011 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by brian41 (Post 3378984)
You are not pull much over 600 HP with a stock "untouched" intake.... that is both upper and lower without magic voodoo nobody else can get. I would still like to see your sheets thats with both corrected and uncorrected numbers.

Tylers manifold moves the throttle body from the front to the top, that is how the RPM's are higher and more consistent.

I upgraded to new afr 325 cnc heads which flow about 335, everything else is the same, they should be dynoed soon. I'll let ya know if they make more :)