Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 mag water hoses? where to get affordably! >

454 mag water hoses? where to get affordably!

Notices

454 mag water hoses? where to get affordably!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 mag water hoses? where to get affordably!

i want to replace most of my water hoses on my '90 454 MAG since my motor is out, merc wants something CRAZY like $140+ for the hose from transom to seawater pump, the other hoses are outrageously priced also. does anyone have a better source for these bent hoses, or other part #'s for them that are priced reasonable?

thanks!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

I just got one off ebay for $29. Same part#. I'm always amazed how much stuff is on there.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The hose from the transom to the sea water pump is nothing special. Don't buy it from mercury. Just take it to a marina and they can cut you a piece.

As far as the others go....I might have them. I have a ton of the mercruiser pre bent hoses.

I usually sell at just over half of retail cost. PM me if your interested and I will look through what I have.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't just use any old rubber hose on the supply line to the raw water pump. The Merc one is reinforced so that it won't collapse under suction. Make sure whatever kind of hose you use has the reinforcement to make it rigid, or you will have overheating issues.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
The hose from the transom to the sea water pump is nothing special. Don't buy it from mercury. Just take it to a marina and they can cut you a piece.

As far as the others go....I might have them. I have a ton of the mercruiser pre bent hoses.

I usually sell at just over half of retail cost. PM me if your interested and I will look through what I have.
that sounds good, the hose that goes under the motor from pump to oil cooler, and oil cooler back up to the thermostat area, and transom to seawater pump are the 3 i for sure want to replace as they are hard to get too the others i can get at easily.

Originally Posted by Budman II
You can't just use any old rubber hose on the supply line to the raw water pump. The Merc one is reinforced so that it won't collapse under suction. Make sure whatever kind of hose you use has the reinforcement to make it rigid, or you will have overheating issues.
i did notice that hose was pretty rigid!!!! dingdong i bought the boat from didnt tighten that hose up very good though so i think that was one of the areas my water leak was from!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Yes, you are correct. That hose actually is double walled with a metal coil in it to keep it rigid. If you take it to a reputable marina or service center they will sell it by the foot and will be able to cut you a length. I have some here but what I have left I believe is to short for you.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:08 PM

The transom to seawater pump, and from pump to cooler is all the same stuff. I have that heavy duty red hose. I think its an extra layer of rubber. I got it from a local plumbing supply house. inch and a quarter.

The others if you still want to use the pre bent shop around the internet.