ProCharger, Whipple or Vortech? >

ProCharger, Whipple or Vortech?

Notices

ProCharger, Whipple or Vortech?

Old 05-22-2002, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProCharger, Whipple or Vortech?

I have a 28 Nordic Heat with a 502 mpi. Would like any imput as to which supercharger would be the best to use, based on reliability, cost to install, ease of installation, and friendliness of operation. Thanks for any information that you can give me on this.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Registered

Default I'm a Whipple Fan

You're going to find a lot of debate on this one. The human side of us tends to be loyal to what we bought- anything else would indicate we made the wrong decision.

with that said- I'm a techie, and for a lot of good technical reasons the Whipple is a better set-up for the Merc EFI motors. Dustin Whipple is a regular on this board and has a fantastic reputation for his dedication and support- even to help those running other superchargers etc.

You can PM me or call 479 636 4669 if you want to talk tech.

It may be a good idea to call each of companies and ask them what their product offers that the others don't- horses mouth kind of thing. Don't be mislead by psycho babble on intercooler size- exiting air temp and corrosion resistance are the real deal.

With a 28' single boat you will likely have Bravo issues down the road, a lot depends on a smooth throttle and keeping the prop in the water. I would budget for a drive upgrade in your future. A lot of people are doing well with XZ and XR uppers in this application.

Good luck!
Old 05-22-2002, 10:48 AM
Registered

I've done both procharger and Whipple and would highly recomend the Whipple. The procharger system was an absolute ***** to get dialed in with very little tech support form the factory. Once I got it dialed in at one altitude It would be screwed up when I went to a different altitude (I boat in lakes from sea level to 6000'). Prochargers solution to fuel delivery is to just pump in a ton of fuel once boost comes up - they allways run rich which equals black transoms and gas in your oil.

Currently have a whipple on my 502 in a 29' Warlock. The installation took me a weekend to do being very slow and anal about it. The factory's response to my phone calls and e-mails have allways been very prompt and helpful. My boat picked up 18 mph and I've got it set up conservatively. No problems with running rich. Whipples EGT sensor ensures I'm not running lean either. The system is technologically superior to procharger and much easier to dial in.

E-mail me if you want my number and want to talk about my experiences.

Shane
Old 05-22-2002, 12:43 PM
VIP Member

Default I say Whipple it!!!

I bought my Whipplecharger based on many things like driveability and service after the sale. Dustin Whipple is a regular on the board and offers alot of help here on his own products as well as others.

The Whipple provides instant power and torque---very important to have on a boat application.

Also make sure if you have alot of hours on your motor I highly recommend that you install new head gskts and studs to hold down the heads. This will help prevent future issues and down time.

Email if you want,
Dave

P.S. Get a drive shower if you don't already have one. I had one on my drive long before the Whipple. I've put on 75 hrs. and just changed gearlube and there is no metal on the magnet at all.
Old 05-23-2002, 06:08 AM
Registered

Default Whipple, Procharger or Vortech

It is common for many users to install their blowers themselves. As for me personally, although I am reasonably competent with a wrench, I want my motors dialed in on a dyno with a veteran technical guy steering the project.
There are so many variables to consider I want a tested and proven system for my boat.
That's not to say that many boat owners haven't done successful installations of blowers. But I would rather have the installation done by an experienced pro.
Personally, I consider this a good investment.
As for choice of blowers, the Whipple
seems very attractive.
But, I strongly disagree with the statement that "for boats, you need immediate response". Historically speaking, immediate blower response usually leads to premature drive failure. The centrifugal blowers make big numbers but can be much easier on your drives. If you are running big drives I guess that point doesn't factor in.

Whipple certainly has great respect on this board and that may go a long way toward making a decision on choice of blowers.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:12 PM
Registered

I'll be honest. I have a PC. I investigated Whipple and would have done it except I was already set up for a PC therefore making the change to a Whipple expensive.

Starting from scratch Whipple is a shade more expensive. From WHAT I'VE READ, guys have more trouble with drives because the Whipple makes so much torque. On the other side to that coin, with my PC I'm around 900 hp with a stock Bravo.

Whipple offers excellent support from all accounts. When I was doing my research I spoke with Dustin and he was awesome. On the flip side to that coin, I've bought 2 PC's and I can't even get a compressor map out of them so I can figure out the range of my system and where to run it.

So, why did I buy the second PC and not the Whipple?
I was set up for the PC already.
I had already gone through just about every conceivable problem already and figured I knew what I doing by now.
Price

Simply put, if you know what your doing with a PC... (and the only way you know what your doing, is by doing with a PC), then you may be able to save a couple of bucks.

If you're not a strong mechanic then it may be better for you to go Whipple because they have better tech support.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

My advice to you is do your own research. Call both companies and have them send you info and make you own decision.
Dont just take our word for it.

DAVE
Old 05-27-2002, 11:10 AM
Registered

Thanks to all that gave me information. Have been away rebuilding my deck for a few days and was not able to reply. Will follow up with recomendations as posted. thanks again. mike