HP 500 EFI (in 20.5 cougar sport skier) >

HP 500 EFI (in 20.5 cougar sport skier)

Notices

HP 500 EFI (in 20.5 cougar sport skier)

Old 04-26-2011, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Redeye
I am going with the gear change on the advice of my (mercruiser certified) mechanic he is very familiar with my boat and has done many performance builds. He also had the gears at home and is doing the work at the good buddy rate! If he is wrong he will change them back for be no problem no charge. I will share your thoughts and we will consider all options.
Thanks for your help
What is the difference between changing the gears or the props? Isn't the end result the same?

I know guys who are turning 32"+ blades usually change the gears. And I think that is because over 34" props are not as effecient.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Slow4me
What is the difference between changing the gears or the props? Isn't the end result the same?

I know guys who are turning 32"+ blades usually change the gears. And I think that is because over 34" props are not as effecient.
I am still learning here myself... but as I understand it the 1.5 to 1 stock gears turn the prop 1 time for every 1.5 turns of the engine

the 1.35 to 1 gears turn the prop 1 time for every 1.35 turns
this allows a smaller prop to turn faster and as one of the other posters said "less metal in the water equals less drag"

Secondly my budget is a factor and the large props get very expensive

feel free to educate me if I am off base here
Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Registered

I thought it would all fit. Have me concerned about my measurements now. I'm using the stock exhaust risers except for a 1" insert for the O2 sensor. I was planning on making a new hatch cover anyway as mine has seen too much water near the hinges. I have the rear thru hull and picked up a set of the selectable thru-hull / thru-prop cutouts hoping I will be tolerated on the inland lakes.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by iCajun
I thought it would all fit. Have me concerned about my measurements now. I'm using the stock exhaust risers except for a 1" insert for the O2 sensor. I was planning on making a new hatch cover anyway as mine has seen too much water near the hinges. I have the rear thru hull and picked up a set of the selectable thru-hull / thru-prop cutouts hoping I will be tolerated on the inland lakes.
When we dropped in the EFI 500 with the stock E tops exhaust the exits where the tails would clamp on were almost 3" taller than the the transom deck and were about 2.5" from touching it. There would have been no way to attach tails without cutting fiberglass and raising the hatch....... I was disappointed.
My cougar is 1995 and I am not sure if the engine compartment has changed with other years.

I thought I had accurate measurements as well. What I surmised was that the documented measurements for the 500 EFI are to the top of the plenum and NOT to the tallest point of the header.

Last edited by Redeye; 04-28-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Registered

Would love to see some pics of the installation, as you go.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Registered

Would love to see some pics of the installation, as you go.
I havent figured out how to get photos on here yet
Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Registered

Mine is also a 1995. Bought a set of Eddie Marine risers that didn't fit so am still using the 454 manifolds and risers. Sounds like I better wait until getting everything installed before having a new hatch cover made. Picked up a set of 8 GM truck coils and am sketching the bracketry out for those. I think they are going to end up bolted to the exhaust manifold/riser joints. I'm in Wisconsin, still waiting on Winter to end, the boat is in storage so I'm working from the photos and measurements I took last Fall, which seemed like such a good idea at the time.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Redeye
I havent figured out how to get photos on here yet
Here is the trick, set up an online account, and post the link. (and its handy if you use other sites, saves the hassle of waiting each photo to download every time you post)

Here is mine:

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa469/2SlowinTO/

And I assume you could make up passwords, and folders if you wanted.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Registered

Here is the trick, set up an online account, and post the link. (and its handy if you use other sites, saves the hassle of waiting each photo to download every time you post)

Here is mine:

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa469/2SlowinTO/

And I assume you could make up passwords, and folders if you wanted.
hanks for the photo tip.. unfortunately I do most of my computer surfing while at work and all of the photosharing sites are blocked
Old 05-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Registered

Just completed the engine install and the dual battery install and this boat is ready to hit the water.
I couldnt remember what my spare prop was and low and behold it is a bravo 1 22p 4 blade. I was not able to turn this with the old engine, so this might be just the thing.
I will reply with test results as soon as I can.
Thanks for everyones help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.