Distributor Gear Failure on 454 Mag EFI

Old 10-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine model MIE 260, displacement 350 cid v8 5.7
Old 10-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Registered

Anybody knows whats the cooling fluid total capacity ? When i disconnect pipes i drained more then 1 gal.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ok, first, the carb bolts on the intake are making it hard for you. take off intake or at least the 4 long studs. cover top of engine with a piece of wood, rug, cardboard. something to make it easier to lay on. now, take the starter off. then feel around and see if there is a piece of sheet metal covering flywheel, or it you can see-feel the flywheel itself. if that sheet metal is there, you need to find 2 to 5 small bolts all around the perimeter attaching it to the transmission. now, you have 6 bolts attaching engine to trans and the front mount. support engine with forklift and remove the 6 bolts. unbolt engine from front mounts and lift a little. now the engine may come out with the front mounts still in place. but you will probably have to remove front mounts to reinstall the engine. the engine needs to come forward a couple inches to disengage from trans input shaft.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
ok, first, the carb bolts on the intake are making it hard for you. take off intake or at least the 4 long studs. cover top of engine with a piece of wood, rug, cardboard. something to make it easier to lay on. now, take the starter off. then feel around and see if there is a piece of sheet metal covering flywheel, or it you can see-feel the flywheel itself. if that sheet metal is there, you need to find 2 to 5 small bolts all around the perimeter attaching it to the transmission. now, you have 6 bolts attaching engine to trans and the front mount. support engine with forklift and remove the 6 bolts. unbolt engine from front mounts and lift a little. now the engine may come out with the front mounts still in place. but you will probably have to remove front mounts to reinstall the engine. the engine needs to come forward a couple inches to disengage from trans input shaft.
Starter and intake are off.

Im going to change gear on the place next week.

I will use chain lift or just wood support under engine than disconnect and remove transmission and i have plenty room to do my work. Even to pull out camshaft completely.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Registered

one that works under boat engines is the little scissors jack comes with most cars. if you are leaving engine in place, I see no real reason to unhook it from trans. you need to drop the pan and remove timing cover. if pan will come all the way out, great. if not, you should still be able to get a shop vac wand and a magnet on a stick in there to get the little pieces out.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
one that works under boat engines is the little scissors jack comes with most cars. if you are leaving engine in place, I see no real reason to unhook it from trans. you need to drop the pan and remove timing cover. if pan will come all the way out, great. if not, you should still be able to get a shop vac wand and a magnet on a stick in there to get the little pieces out.
After trans pan will come out. Im positive with it because there is enough room.

About magnet i agree with U.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Registered

Try to drop pan first before removing trans. With bottom shape it may come right out. Only need a couple of inches. Not like a car with crossmembers and steering and stuff. Cuz if you are removing trans, may as well pull engine all the way out with trans attached. Especially if he can just shut forklift off and leave it hanging to do pan and cam. MAKE SURE you have a balancer puller-installer when you go to do the job.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 10-08-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Registered

I spent couple of hours today after work. Disconnect transmission and get ready to pull out but not so easy as it seems from the beginning. Waiting for Saturday to continue...
Old 10-14-2017, 07:12 PM
Registered

Im not sure if anybody ever seen broken camshaft...

Cylinder heads are okey but noy sure about crankshaft...

Any ideas?
Old 10-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Registered

Im not sure if anybody ever seen broken camshaft... Gear is in perfect condition...

Cylinder heads are okey but noy sure about crankshaft...

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Distributor Gear Failure on 454 Mag EFI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.