Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   CMI rope seals dripping water???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/253665-cmi-rope-seals-dripping-water.html)

still smoking 05-16-2011 08:20 AM

CMI rope seals dripping water????

I have had a few issues with these headers. They pressure check fine, now. At 1000 rpm and very little water pressure I get drips of water from the rope seals is this normal? I don't think I should be getting that much water back up the tailpipe.

Griff 05-16-2011 12:37 PM

Not normal at all. There should not be any water even getting to the joint.

BenPerfected 05-16-2011 01:32 PM

Might be reversion. Any change to your cam?

still smoking 05-16-2011 02:19 PM

No change in the cam from when I had the gils last year. These headers have been a real pain in the a$$. I am running what I believe is very similar to a 500efi cam. Someone on another board gave me some advice that makes since to me and I will try it tomorrow. I have already pressure checked these things twice since having one repaired.

GTOFFSHORE 05-16-2011 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by still smoking (Post 3404441)
No change in the cam from when I had the gils last year. These headers have been a real pain in the a$$. I am running what I believe is very similar to a 500efi cam. Someone on another board gave me some advice that makes since to me and I will try it tomorrow. I have already pressure checked these things twice since having one repaired.

What advice did they give you? I have same problem. We have pressure checked etc all good but still get drip. There is no wade getting into motor so that's good but water up that far worries me.

still smoking 05-16-2011 03:26 PM

I believe from what I was told I need to make a better seal at the tailpipe to header. The leaking exhaust at the joint will try to pull water up the tailpipe to the leaking area.

To me, it makes sense, if you think about something like an air powered siphon for spraying liquid. Not sure if you are familiar with a siphon feed sand blaster or solvent sprayer but I am thinking this is what is happening. I didn't come up with this on my own!!

GTOFFSHORE 05-16-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by still smoking (Post 3404528)
I believe from what I was told I need to make a better seal at the tailpipe to header. The leaking exhaust at the joint will try to pull water up the tailpipe to the leaking area.

To me, it makes sense, if you think about something like an air powered siphon for spraying liquid. Not sure if you are familiar with a siphon feed sand blaster or solvent sprayer but I am thinking this is what is happening. I didn't come up with this on my own!!

It does make sense. I had thought about that but discounted it as too out there. I guess I will go back and make sure the rope seal is tight.

fountainfan42 05-16-2011 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Poker~N~Run (Post 3404605)
It does make sense. I had thought about that but discounted it as too out there. I guess I will go back and make sure the rope seal is tight.

or change it out with a new one

still smoking 05-16-2011 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by fountainfan42 (Post 3404641)
or change it out with a new one

I am using new seals already.

fountainfan42 05-16-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by still smoking (Post 3404685)
I am using new seals already.

tighten her down and fire it up ,good luck