Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Lightning headers vs Gil manifolds / risers - pros & cons? >

Lightning headers vs Gil manifolds / risers - pros & cons?

Notices

Lightning headers vs Gil manifolds / risers - pros & cons?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lightning headers vs Gil manifolds / risers - pros & cons?

I'm getting ready to install a new 489 into my boat, and I am pondering which way to go on exhaust. I had silent choice on the boat before, and I would like to maintain some type of switchable exhaust option. I already have a set of Lightning headers to run on it, but it is going to be difficult, and possibly expensive, to fabricate a diverter that will allow the Lightnings to work with the SC.

I came across a set of Gil manifolds that already have provisions for SC in the riser. These may come close to being a bolt on application with little if any modifications needed - won't know for sure until I get them on there. If it looks like they might work, one option would be to sell the Lightnings and buy the Gils.

I understand that tube headers generally carry an inherent performance advantage over manifolds, but I am wondering if it is a very noticeable difference. Has anyone out there switched from a performance manifold like the Gil's and gone to a tube header like the Lightnings, CMI's, etc? If so, did you notice much difference, all other things being equal?

Reversion is not expected to be an issue - cam is fairly mild - 221*/230* on a 114 LSA. HP will probably be in the 450 range - my guess on this.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

The difference between the Gils and Lightnings on your application will be splitting hairs. I would go with whatever is cheapest and easiest.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Gil manifolds when I first got my boat. I soon switched to Lightnings and I did not notice any difference. My boat did not run great at the time, but I think HP is comparable between those 2 products. The Lightnings look great and may be a little lighter plus you might see a gain on higher HP applications.