Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Trim gauge not working (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/254056-trim-gauge-not-working.html)

Redeye 05-21-2011 01:08 AM

Trim gauge not working

I recently pulled my 7.4 mpi 454 and installed a 500 efi.

Everything is working but the trim gauge.

The trim works both up and down but the gauge remains pegged in the up position.

Is there a different setup going from one engine to the other.

Thanks for your help.:party-smiley-004:

MikeyFIN 05-21-2011 04:14 AM

Redneck Daredevil is an expert in that.. consult daredevil racing (NOOOT).

... you lost your trim gauge sensor/or broke the cables. New ones cost a few bucks with nex cables. Check your cables first from gauge to trim sensor unit.

Redeye 05-21-2011 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN (Post 3408744)
Redneck Daredevil is an expert in that.. consult daredevil racing (NOOOT).

... you lost your trim gauge sensor/or broke the cables. New ones cost a few bucks with nex cables. Check your cables first from gauge to trim sensor unit.

where would the trim gauge sensor be located?
I am sure we did not break the cables

bajabob 05-21-2011 07:19 AM

two wires from the back of the gimble housing go to the box were the starter clyner is thats on my boat they just plug in

Redeye 05-21-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by bajabob (Post 3408776)
two wires from the back of the gimble housing go to the box were the starter clyner is thats on my boat they just plug in

I believe that we have those wire connected as the trime works properly.... just no gauge

bajabob 05-21-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Redeye (Post 3408769)
where would the trim gauge sensor be located?
I am sure we did not break the cables

thats on the side of the drive .they have two srews on them thats how you set them by truning it

Blueabyss 05-21-2011 07:40 AM

trim

Well on a 496 they are at the back of the engine at the top. Pretty sure 500 is the same . I know a 454 mpi is the same. I swappd out my 454mpi for a 496. There are several wires back there with bullet connectors. You are looking for an orange wire and a black wire coming out of the bundle. Both are female connectors. The trim sending units are on the gimble ring on the out drive. One on each side. Port side is the trim limit and starboard is the sending unit. Thats the one you are concerned with at this time. They are round discs with a set of wires each. Both wires are black. The wires run through the the gimble area and through the transom just above the bellows. Comes out in the boat just below the tiller arm the power steering is hooked to. Like I said there are 2 sets of wires. The trim limit switch wires go over to the trim pump area and have 1 male and one female connector. The trim sending unit wires you are concerned with go to to the back top of the motor and both have male connectors. If these wires are broken out on the out drive or if hooked up like I stated and the gauge still does not work then PM me for the fix.. Its a long one and more than one way to do it. Some will tell you the drive and gimble have to be removed but that is not the case. I replaced a set YESTERDAY. These have to be replaced in pairs.. Only way they are sold . You would be an idiot to not replace both anyway even if only one is bad.

Chris

Redeye 05-21-2011 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Blueabyss (Post 3408786)
Well on a 496 they are at the back of the engine at the top. Pretty sure 500 is the same . I know a 454 mpi is the same. I swappd out my 454mpi for a 496. There are several wires back there with bullet connectors. You are looking for an orange wire and a black wire coming out of the bundle. Both are female connectors. The trim sending units are on the gimble ring on the out drive. One on each side. Port side is the trim limit and starboard is the sending unit. Thats the one you are concerned with at this time. They are round discs with a set of wires each. Both wires are black. The wires run through the the gimble area and through the transom just above the bellows. Comes out in the boat just below the tiller arm the power steering is hooked to. Like I said there are 2 sets of wires. The trim limit switch wires go over to the trim pump area and have 1 male and one female connector. The trim sending unit wires you are concerned with go to to the back top of the motor and both have male connectors. If these wires are broken out on the out drive or if hooked up like I stated and the gauge still does not work then PM me for the fix.. Its a long one and more than one way to do it. Some will tell you the drive and gimble have to be removed but that is not the case. I replaced a set YESTERDAY. These have to be replaced in pairs.. Only way they are sold . You would be an idiot to not replace both anyway even if only one is bad.

Chris

thanks for the great help, will try this on my next day off.
I forgot to mention that this is a bravo drive without trim tabs

Blueabyss 05-21-2011 10:37 AM

Same as mine redeye.

Chris

BlownFountain 05-26-2011 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Blueabyss (Post 3408786)

Chris

Could you please message me the testing instructions also. I'm having the same issues with my trim gauge. Thanks very much!