Help, trying to convert from crossovers to thermostats

Notices

Help, trying to convert from crossovers to thermostats

Old 05-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Help, trying to convert from crossovers to thermostats

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-14350...-455-olds.aspx

Anybody ever convert from crossovers to thermostats using this kit? I was going to buy this kit, but I only have one water inlet hose that is currently hooked up to my crossover and this kit requires two. Do I need to run a T or something to convert my single water hose into two so this kit will work? If so, were do I put the T? Under the pully's?

What do ya'll think of this kit? Will it work? My engines are not getting near the heat that it needs. Water temp gauges don't even register 3/4 of the time. It says not designed for sandy areas. My lake has all natural sand beaches. I don't plan on running aground, but not sure how well the thermostat will hold up in my water. I dont' mind cleaning out the thermostat every once in a while.

Current setup
Attached Thumbnails Help, trying to convert from crossovers to thermostats-motors2.jpg  
Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a crossover with a stat before..worked great..looks like you would use the lower 2 to manifolds and just one of the upper ones as a by pass, plug the other...my housing just had the bypass right on the top....looked cleaned than this one...eddie marine and cp both have them
Old 05-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks to be unique type system and funky log type manifold with dual water inlets.

I know the OEM Merc system worked using a circulation pump and the new style thermo housing but it wasn't cheap. It does work, and work well. Had to get new circ pumps, pulleys, belts, and thermo housings. I always had problems getting oil hot with cross-over as I hardly ever push it past 3000 rpm also not run for more than about 15 min on plane ( I have to idle for 45 min to 1 hour just to get to location for planing speed, thank you F&the sea cows club). OEM system gets water and oil up to min temps while on the 45 Min idle out to mouth of bay. Once at speed I can get where I an going rather quickly.

Last edited by 88Fount33; 05-26-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Manatees taste just like chicken, save a boater eat a manatee
Old 05-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I run a crossover with a stat before..worked great..looks like you would use the lower 2 to manifolds and just one of the upper ones as a by pass, plug the other...my housing just had the bypass right on the top....looked cleaned than this one...eddie marine and cp both have them
The one I'm running now looks exactly the same as the one eddie marine sells. Think I'll just buy a thermostat for it and see if it works. The picture they have is rather odd though http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/car...l&p=11561&c=52 makes it look like the thermostat is inside the bypass line, but I know that can't be right.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats just like the ones I've used, works fine, just drill some holes in the stat...
Old 05-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I have two of those also as they came with the boat.
The HP gain is so Minimal it nots worth it IMO.

I have purchased circ pumps to put them back to normal if I want. I also had to install pressure relief valves because I was seeing 40 LBS of water pressure.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my setup. I used the same thermostat housing you had in your first post.