Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone using Cheap Ebay HEI distrubutors >

Anyone using Cheap Ebay HEI distrubutors

Notices

Anyone using Cheap Ebay HEI distrubutors

Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEI modules do go out; I've had OEM GM ones die. But, spares are $15 bucks, and can be changed easily. Compare to Thunderbolt replacement parts at 70-250 for the sensor and module. If you're willing to carry spares, it is a good replacement option IMO.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by tinman565
If the car broke down....he could get out and walk right ?
Right or wrong the customer had butchered up a 80's monte carlo with 305 ho. stuck a holley carb on and the electronic controlled distributer wasn't giving him any advance. He wanted me to find him a junkyard distributer as he wasn't willing to spend any money to fix it, a cheap complete distributer was a good alternative an his car ran night and day better once it had a distributer that could give it mechanical advance that actually worked, Smitty
Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HEI vs CDI

Ever consider going distributor-less? No long tangled spark plug wires shorting to ground, and no open sparks in the bilge/engine compartment. Full control over every cylinder (individual timing curves)

http://blmicro.com/

PS - No solicitation intended, just trying to help. It cleaned up my Sea Ray real nice, and I don't use a fraction of what it can do.

-BL
Old 06-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

used several of HEI's no issues at all....I think they are one of the most trouble free ignitions out there..and have seen many high $$$$ leave you paddeling as well !!!!