Broken Valve

Notices

Broken Valve

Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Valve

I have a early 90's 454/425hp motor that broke the # 6 intake valve. Took the boat out to the lake and unloaded and idled out of the no wake zone. Everything was good, got the boat up on plane and made it about 1/8 of a mile an heard a loud pop and the motor started missing. Was running about 3000rpm, hadn't even opened it up yet. I shut it down and did a once over on the water and didn't see anything obvious. Idled back to the ramp and loaded it up. Got it home and started the basic troubleshooting, found # 6 had no compression. Remove valve cover and everything was ok, pulled the intake and handed to by buddy and he noticed something rattling around in it, he moved it around and guess what fell out? part of a valve fell out. Never seen that before. Anyway remove the head and part of the intake valve was broken. Top of the piston looked good, not hit marks, but from about 7 oclock to 11 oclock the cylinder looks like it has been hot and scored. looks like I had two problems, looks like the valve was bad, but not sure how to explain the damage cylinder, wasn't lean or detonation. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Broken Valve-454-head.jpg   Broken Valve-broken-valve.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Do any of the other valves look like they are tulip'ing?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Not that I can tell. Thanks for the reply
Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

KS,
That valve has either been very hot like you mentioned, or water was getting into that cylinder which will also tulip valves like that. I would bet more on the heat though. You say it wasn't lean, how do you know ??? How about a picture of the top of the piston and the one in the cylinder next to it ?

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 06-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to much timing, lean, or water...buy a lottery ticket that the whole engine is not door stop material...
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Registered

Check the other side.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Billk:I will get some pictures tonight of the other cylinders. The reason I dont think it was lean is all visual, it actually looks fat to me. Everything looks rich, plugs, pistons, exhaust, ect. I could be wrong. I have CMI's on this motor and did just pressure check them a month ago. Would I see any other signs if it was water? Thanks for the reply
Old 06-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Ezstriper, timing was total timing of 30 degrees. It sure didn't look lean, but I could be wrong. I'm wondering about the water since I have CMI's. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Reds32,

I haven't checked the other side yet! Still depressed from the other side! lol!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KS IMP
Would I see any other signs if it was water? Thanks for the reply
Water will give a steam cleaned appearance to the piston top and chamber. Yours looks mighty clean in my observation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.