Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Vertglas, Liquid Glass, Island Girl? >

Vertglas, Liquid Glass, Island Girl?

Notices

Vertglas, Liquid Glass, Island Girl?

Old 06-03-2002, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vertglas, Liquid Glass, Island Girl?

Which one? I have a friend that is a distrubitor for Island Girl products. Claims it is the best. I have read about Vertglas, seems to be great. I have used Liquid Glass, works real well also. Who out there has used any/all of these and which one is the best? Which lasts the longest? My cig needs wet sanding on the decks and mild buffing on the sides. I only want to do this once if i can help it. what is the best? Oh, and what does Vertglas mean "not below the waterline"? I need to go down to the chine. The boat is dry stored anyway.

I'm getting ready to take the plunge! Help!

Mongo
Old 06-03-2002, 10:46 AM
Registered

Default VERTGLAS

I used VERTGLAS and it works great. The part about no rubbing is a lot of rubbish though. I don't see how they can get away saying that. There's ton's of rubbing with the buffing compound and supplied scrubber. After you use the #2 bottle and clean and dry your boat, the final coat is easy. Apply at least three coats if possible. Follow the instructions. If your boat is fairly large, buy the large applicator. Clean the applicators well after use. Dry them and store in a large baggie. The applicators will keep for a long time if you care for them. And, I don't agree with them that you need to remove a coat to reapply. Clean extremely well, and apply another coat later in the summer if desired. Do not apply in direct sunlight. DO NOT SHAKE THE BOTTLE. The bubbles will transfer to your finish.

They mean it when they say "ABOVE THE WATERLINE". Applied below the waterline, VERTGLAS turns to pure white chalky looking finish. Not good. It's not actually chalky, but it is very white. If you need something to the chines, VERTGLAS is not the thing to use.

Be ready to scrub.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:05 PM
Registered

I just tried Vertglas a couple of weeks ago. I was not impressed at all. I did a small section to see how it worked and was pretty bummed that I had spent the money on it. I get much better results with some compound and a wheel. Maybe I got old stock or something, who knows. I have a kit for sale if you are wanting to try it!
Old 06-03-2002, 12:43 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Milord, that didn't work on that Liberator of yours? I used it last summer and had good results with the Vertglas, but like deboatmon said it aint as easy as they say and I only have the 211. Can't imagine anything bigger.

Heres a couple of pics. I don't know how they will show but the red graphics were rather dull and the boat wasn't too shiny either. I just unwrapped it for the year and it still looks the same. I'll recoat it again here sometime soon though.

I don't know if it will show in the pics, but back by the exhaust you may see some white on the red stripes. That is what happens when used bellow the waterline. It comes off easy, but is kinda ugly.

Les
Attached Thumbnails Vertglas, Liquid Glass, Island Girl?-dsc00155.jpg  
Old 06-03-2002, 12:44 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

one more.
Attached Thumbnails Vertglas, Liquid Glass, Island Girl?-dsc00156.jpg  
Old 06-03-2002, 01:54 PM
hystat

I used Vertglas on 20 year old gelcoat and it came up 95% I was impressed, but then a year later it had oxidized heavily again, I would recommend applying more than the 6 coats of the final sealer. That is time consuming, but I figure that's why mine oxidized so rapidly- not enough coats.

Old 06-03-2002, 08:25 PM
Registered

One word....POLI-GLOW...I have used it and it works great...It takes some time to apply but once it's on it's great...Go to www.PoliGlowProducts.com
read the reports yourself.....

"Bad-Habit"
Old 06-03-2002, 10:03 PM
Registered

Hi Bad Habit,

It appears that Poli-Glow is similar to Vertglas... What about the "below the waterline" issues? Does it chalk up as Vertglas does? I have used acrilyc products before (on the granite tile of my house) and it does a stunning job. What's the story?

Mongo
Old 06-04-2002, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Imongo...

I see many issues on some of the products mentioned... You and I have been using Liquid Glass for some time and, as far as I am concerned, the results are flawless... I also use it on the top and bottom of my boat with no problems... This product can be done in the sun and it continues to build including the protection... My Scarab, unfortunately, sits outside with a cover and with an application every month or so it is hard to notice any difference... Liquid Glass does not work well as a cleaner but is quite functional as a protective agent and application and removal, on a comparative basis, is a snap... Imagine...

Tnx, Karl