Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   New (old) Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/257821-new-old-cigarette.html)

225hcca 07-12-2011 09:48 AM

New (old) Cigarette

Thinking of purchasing a mid 70's Cigarette 35' Awesome or Mistress (still searching) I'm a sucker for a classic but am unsure what I might be getting myself into. Any words of wisdom?

ren3 07-12-2011 11:15 AM

Advice

Buying a hull as old as you mentioned can be a very expensive way to get a 35' hull. It is just expensive and time consuming to adequately update all of the systems. I have a 35' Awesome that I was restoring, but I finally decided that the effort was going to more than the result justified. I ended up selling all the new components that I had purchased, cutting off seven feet from the stern, removing the deck and all interior components, building a new transom for an outboard, and building a 28' center console. Email me if you are interested in some pictures. Bob Newman. [email protected]

RWS Cigarette 08-24-2011 03:13 PM

Old School Cigarette

Look in "Post your oldschool ride" page 120
1979 35 Mistress "Mint" everything new and gone through over the last three years - Mistress is original just as if it just rolled out of the Cigarette Factory on 188 St. in 1979 - If interested email Bob at: ([email protected])

tcelano 08-24-2011 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ren3 (Post 3450544)
Buying a hull as old as you mentioned can be a very expensive way to get a 35' hull. It is just expensive and time consuming to adequately update all of the systems. I have a 35' Awesome that I was restoring, but I finally decided that the effort was going to more than the result justified. I ended up selling all the new components that I had purchased, cutting off seven feet from the stern, removing the deck and all interior components, building a new transom for an outboard, and building a 28' center console. Email me if you are interested in some pictures. Bob Newman. [email protected]

Amen... I re-rigged mine. Fortunately I was able to sell the engines and drives (454 MPI's and SSMIII's) and some stainless marine exhausts that came with it. Otherwise, I've bought a LOT of new and newer used stuff to do the project. We like how the old boat looks, and I like doing the work, but otherwise its a financially stupid project that can never be insured for anywhere near what's in it.

If you do anything with any boat with the idea that you are somehow saving money, I'd say take up a different hobby...

RWS Cigarette 08-24-2011 04:32 PM

Got to find the right boat to start with, or it is a waste of time and $$$, as for insurance, you need the right company. All in all I enjoy it and as for the $$$ you can't take it with you, so have fun.